Vitesse 2 liter - cooling (and fuel) setup for extreme heat with no overheating

James H

34 minutes ago, James H said:

Why was I under the impression that swapping to ethanol petrols from 100 octane apart from needing a valve conversion would cause pinging that would require retarding the timing not advancing ? Thats certainly the experience I had...

Dont know where that came from because the valve seat conversion was only ever suggested when changing to unleaded fuels and independant of octane rating. However its true before ethanol it was standard procedure to retard timing when going to a lower octane fuel. Unfortunately ethanol has introduced another largely unknown variable so as Iain says each owner needs to find their own prefered set up...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, johny said:

Dont know where that came from because the valve seat conversion was only ever suggested when changing to unleaded fuels and independant of octane rating. However its true before ethanol it was standard procedure to retard timing when going to a lower octane fuel. Unfortunately ethanol has introduced another largely unknown variable so as Iain says each owner needs to find their own prefered set up...

Well of course I meant when ULTIMATELY swapping to ethanol fuels so yes including earlier unleaded and like Iain I just didn't know ethanol threw such a spanner in the works...

Just to be clear Johny, you're successfully on E5 SP95 without additives, surely not E10 ?

Sorry for being a bore just trying to keep my facts straight, on a bit of a 3 or 4 day crash course here !

Absorbing it like a sponge, I'll bugger off soon don't worry, you'll forget I was ever here 😉

Edited by James H

Running just E5 95 these days with no additives on a standard original mk1 engine and even in hot conditions not encountering any problems in fact sometimes I wonder if its my hearing thats gone😮

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, johny said:

Running just E5 95 these days with no additives on a standard original mk1 engine and even in hot conditions not encountering any problems in fact sometimes I wonder if its my hearing thats gone😮

Know how you feel, when I'm hammering it up a hill, 4 up, in the midday heat, passengers blissfully unaware of the inner dread only we know about and actually make it, I briefly wonder if my minds gone😮

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, johny said:

You are brave! And so are all those passengers😂

Thats a polite way of putting it Johny, thanks. But the passengers ? sod the passengers, I'm the one carrying the burden of stress !

Sounds like you're all probably already aware of it but if not, this is the stuff, to be eaten whole or drunk pure...

CREME-FRAICHE-GASTRONOMIQUE-45CL-1-540x474.png.0b6767845c658ad821fe74ece5772a7b.png

Edited by James H

Posted (edited)

Not having anything to compare the car to and being out in the sticks with no rolling roads I'd like to know if the power is low or not with the indicated retarded timing but I have too much mechanical sympathy to do any 0-60 tests ( plus the ratios are as yet unknown ) ...

Is it feasible to find some performance figures with a T9 in 4th or 5th gear since it was suggested they were standard ?

A long shot I know... cheers

Edited by James H

18 minutes ago, James H said:

Is it feasible to find some performance figures with a T9 in 4th or 5th gear since it was suggested they were standard ?

A long shot I know... cheers

Yes that would be probably be interesting for a lot of people, a group test from say a rolling 20 or 30mph to 60mph time in 4th (your ratio will also be 1:1 in that gear) on a flat road in calm conditions just timed with a watch. Of course there would be some error but it could give a rough comparison of how ones steed is performing....

• Like 1

Just now, johny said:

Yes that would be probably be interesting for a lot of people, a group test from say a rolling 20 or 30mph to 60mph time in 4th (your ratio will also be 1:1 in that gear) on a flat road in calm conditions just timed with a watch. Of course there would be some error but it could give a rough comparison of how ones steed is performing....

Oh it would indeed... mine pulls great but if I'm missing out I want to know about it !

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

An exception is made for Pastis and Calvados.

Ah yes and for those in the know, the Pastis of choice is Casanis from Corsica, of course they are all the same but its the most obscure so its the best, just sayin'...

Just out of interest whats considered the general success rate of staying on topic on here, as a percentage figure are we talking single figures or is it actually in the double digits ?

Edited by James H

Posted (edited)

One last thing before wine commences, I would imagine you're probably already well aware of him but if not theres a great young u tuber in the UK named Ben whos channel is "Tasty Classics" and hes raffling off a '67 MK1 Vitesse saloon with £1.00 tickets ending early november, heres the link :

https://raffall.com/365830/enter-raffle-to-win-1967-triumph-vitesse-tasty-classics-feature-car-hosted-by-tasty-classics

🍷

P.S. He got the car up and running minus for one of a few things, the temp gauge, he obviously doesn't know about the ritual knuckle tap !

Edited by James H

38 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

get in  drive ...............get the smile  

would that be before or after the wine   

Pete

Pete, yes every moment with a triumph 6 is a pinch moment !

They say 2 glasses of red wine a day is healthy for the average male, shocking really but I'll take it 🍷🍷