Engine rebuild

Mike GT6

My mark 2 GT6 is burning oil and smoking a lot. I suspect it needs a proper engine rebuild but then wondering if the cost is worth it without doing the interior which is looking shabby also. So I’m looking for advice on somewhere reliable to take it for a good job for engine rebuild and also for new interior fit (carpets and new seat foam and covers etc).  I live in Richmond Surrey. 

Ivor Serle are very good remanufacturers   been there its a brilliant place where they do things right 

as for trim newton commercials   but search often suppliers are better priced than going direct as a one off customer 

as for your oil burner  have you managed a compression test and please say you dont have an external rocker feed fitted  

they are oil guzzlers .

make sure the breather system is all clear and the rocker box  breather  gauze has been cleaned 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

On 07/10/2024 at 11:51, Pete Lewis said:

rocker box  breather  gauze has been cleaned 

Hi Pete. My cover has an internal plate with maybe a 1/4 gap, where I assume the gauze would be fitted?. Nothing on mine. Any idea on what I could fit (maybe a bit of that shiny, metallic pan scrubber wedged in?, as long as it wouldn't disintegrate over time?). Car does burn a bit of oil. Would this help with reducing oil mist that goes into inlet manifold (standard smith valve fitted).

Thanks, Dave

On 07/10/2024 at 11:48, Mike GT6 said:

I suspect it needs a proper engine rebuild

Mike before you start taking it apart do some tests. A compression test will give you some indication of the state of the rings which may be the cause of burning oil. You're looking for roughly equal readings from each bore rather than a specific number. If you haven't got one they're on Fleabay for around £10, cheaper than a rebuild. There are several threads on here about this.

I got my foams and new covers from Park Lane Classics, the best quality and cheapest price around. Lots do carpets, depends if you want fitted or loose and wool or synthetic.

Doug

the gauze is there as a flame trap  not really  a debris collector   if its missing it wont upset much

but a back fire through the carbs can ignite the crankcase gases

as said  like the miners davey lamp the gauze cools the flame 

if blocked you upset the breathing    if its missing it wont 

Pete

Mike, how much oil is your car using, and assuming you're seeing blue smoke from the exhaust, under what circumstances? 

On the over run, under power, on start up? This will indicate where the problem lies. 

As for cost, I will see if I can add the bill for parts and machining costs for the last 6 cylinder engine I did in 2020 to give you an idea. Note this was not a full overhaul as it didn't need a rebore, so no cost for that or new pistons.

I disassembled and rebiult the engine myself, so no labour costs there.

To do it properly it's not cheap! 

I've spent a lot of my career  either rebuilding engines or managing the overhauls (all be it mostly ship engines) and so feel I can speak with some authority on quality overhauls. You'll note that the parts and machining costs make up a fair percentage of the cost of an exchange engine from some suppliers. 

This is because in my view, corners are cut in the re-use of parts with some parts being reused when really for long engine life they should be replaced, and also the quality of parts which, again in my view, cannot be high at the prices charged for exchange units.

To give an example, a duplex timing chain can cost as little as £20. These can and do have sharp edges which cut through the tensioner in short order, putting metal particles through the engine before failing early.  Quality German made chains cost £60. I can't help wondering which of these chains would be used in an exchange unit, and that's just one component....

If yoh do go down the overhaul route, the only way to make sure your engine is overhauled properly is to find a good machine shop and engine builder and manage the biuld yourself, deciding with the shops advice which components need replacing, the quality of those components and what machining work needs to be undertaken. 

Sorry for writing war and peace on this! Hope its helpful. 

1728468936232311352320021724364.jpg

17284689601434209717398067673053.jpg

17284689837425014242718795348098.jpg