Car stereo vitesse saloon

Paul H

Just purchased a vitesse mk2 1969 saloon . There is a stereo system fitted in the glove compartment and plan to keep. The problem are the speakers which are currently fitted across the rear seat storage units and look awful

Where should the speakers be fitted and which speakers are considered suitable

Thanks in advance

post-1431-0-17989000-1459032150_thumb.jpg

Hi,

When these cars were new, a radio would have been slung under the dashboard, perhaps in a housing, and the single speaker (for it would have been mono) would likely have been slung under that.  

For stereo speakers, look at what others have done.  I expect you can now get very much smaller speakers than those in your photo, and these will be an easier, and a more discreet, fit.  On my car they are in the front footwells.  Not the best place but it means that they don't ruin the rear side-trims.

Tom

You can fit single or double speakers under the dash; the original fitment was a single speaker in a one-piece unit incorporating the head unit but other period units come up on eBay from time to time. There is enough room and sufficient cutouts to fit flat-profile speakers in the door trims (flat profile behind so the magnet doesn't foul anything) plus you can also attach pod units to the saloon rear shelf. Make sure they're bolted down as you don't want them to fly loose in a sudden stop situation and clunk the back of your head...

In my vitesse I had speakers fitted in the footwell kickboards. I cut some new boards in hardboard so I kept the originals, and simply painted them black. Could be vinyl covered (very cheap off ebay!) and used 6 1/2" speakers from memory. They survived a dozen years of everyday use with no problems.

Bear in mind any "quality" of sound will be marred by the car, I didn't want to over-complicate things.

I have often thought a pair of speakers may fit in the under-dash millboard?

None of the positions are ideal, so I would suggest go for subtle. On that note, I just used a small power amp hidden under the dash, originally I used a portable CD player. Thesedays a little MP3 player does the job. Trouble is no radio, but then again I reckon I would be hard pushed to hear the talky bits, so mp3 on shuffle is what I get.

I favour the footwell method too, and made my own panels from hardboard covered in black carpet, secured with screws and brass cup washers. They look a lot better than the millboard. In the end I did not need to put the speakers there after all, because my MX5 seats have them in the headrests, which is handy on a convertible. Maplin online are a good source of speakers.

Regards

Steve C

I favour the footwell method too, and made my own panels from hardboard covered in black carpet, secured with screws and brass cup washers. They look a lot better than the millboard. In the end I did not need to put the speakers there after all, because my MX5 seats have them in the headrests, which is handy on a convertible. Maplin online are a good source of speakers.

Regards

Steve C

Can't use footwell as passenger footwell has a box section which can be used for books , CDs etc . So rear parcel shelf is the preferred solution . On checking I noticed the metal retainers , what are they for ?

post-1431-0-13341000-1459093244_thumb.jpg