Spitfire 1500 (1978) Steering Column Removal

Desperately need some help.

Trying to remove Steering Column from spitfire 1500 (to replace upper and lower bushes). Am clear on procedure (via Workshop manual/Haynes Manual) but for the love of me I just cannot determine how to remove the Upper Column Clamp Bolts (UKC 7070).The workshop manual refers to cap screws, they look as if they are but with the "allen key centre" " filled in " !!  See attached photo. So, no means to use allen key, spanner or whatever

Would really appreciate some help on this ie how do I unscrew these ??

many thanks

bob owen

post-356-0-36999300-1461231626_thumb.jpg

Think I may have answered my own question!!, are they shear screws ??(should not bed as the manual simply refers to cap screws and neither Rimmer or Moss refer to UKC 7070 as shear bolts)

If so, how the hell do I remove them?

No Doug, once the bolts are tight the head shears off so they can't be undone. Without ingenuity at least...

Couple of suggestions. (1) cut a slot using a dremel/angle grinder/hacksaw blade etc and then a flat screwdriver. (2) get a sharp cold chisel and use that to "knock" the heads around. 

I have used both techniques (the latter on my Cavalier sports hatch nearly 30 years ago when the ingition barrel went t*ts up in a carpark 200 miles from home. Had to remove the lock as no breakdown/recovery and it was getting late. Then I managed with a screwdriver, somehow. Pure desperation I expect!)

Are you sure those are the correct bolts you're looking at?

I've got the earlier type of column and it's not 100% clear from the parts calalogues but while the steering lock has shear bolts they may not be the same as the UKC7070s.  They certainly aren't on the Mk IV.

Thanks for responses.

I am looking at the correct bolts for the steering column upper clamp, they should not be shear (according to Haynes etc) but if you look at the spec for UKC 7070 bolts via Google they pop up as Shear bolts.

Guess I will need to act on Clive's suggestions and take my time....so much for the quick job of changing the steering column bushes !!

There not shear bolts according to the Moss parts catalogue either.  There should be 2x 152597 shear bolts holding the steering lock to the column and a separate pair of UKC7070 bolts for the clamp that holds the rack to the car.  Looking at the diagram the speedo trip reset should be attached to one of the upper clamp bolts, as it is on the Mk IV.

That said UKC7070 isn't a standard (or should that be Standard) bolt code...

Not sure how tight these go before they shear but another option might be to drill 2 small holes and se if you can get in there with a pair of straight circlip pliers?

Assuming just using the new top bush to push the old one down the column doesn't work for you.  It's what I did :)

So, that was the easy part !!!!, now got both bushes out, top one was in many pieces, bottom one rather slack. Howq do I get the new bottom bush back in..somehow need to compress the rubber pips and press it in with something !!, any thoughts???

good question....   most fit them anyway up

cant remember why there are slots  parts list and manuals dont show a slot

if the pip is offset get that to make the bush and tube  positions are  the right fit and dont worry about them 

Pete

drive it day is calling

Was a few years ago but think I more or less cut the pips off, or at least camfered their leading edges.  If you're is as snug as mine was it's not like it was going to go anywhere without then pips (and it hasn't).

Got it fitted, in the end even though it was a very snug fit, it slid in like a dream.

I gave it a good smear of grease, then fitted the whole outer column assembly into a long sash cramp and with a 3/4" socket as the "pusher" it slid in easily as I screwed up the sash cramp