Flexible hose manufactiring dates?

Waynebaby

Hi All,

I'm contemplating changing the flexible brake hoses on my Mk3 GT6 because I've no idea when they were last changed. I've noticed that the hoses have numbers on them (03/00 and 04/00) and wondered if these were manufacturing dates (i.e. March and April 2000) Does anybody know if these figures refer to manufacturing dates or is this just a co-incidence?

Regards

Wayne

Hello Wayne.

If you can go for the Goodridge stainless steel hoses - a tad more expensive than normal flexi hoses but MUCH better; plus of course you get a firmer pedal response.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Aidan.

You cannot clamp the s/s hoses as the clamp will distort the structure and reduce the ID of the hose.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Wayne.

If you can go for the Goodridge stainless steel hoses - a tad more expensive than normal flexi hoses but MUCH better; plus of course you get a firmer pedal response.

Regards.

Richard.

...but they still require replacement at regular intervals; the interior rubber perishes just as any hose does. Some people think they're a permanent once-in-a-lifetime upgrade!

Hello All

What do we think the life of stainless/steel hoses is then?

I have had my Spitfire nearly 6 years and the hoses were fitted when I bought it , they still look ok but now you have got me thinking as we are off to Spa in 2 weeks and then off to Italy and back to Le Mans later

Roger

Hello Roger.

Cutting edge companies like Goodridge invest millions of £££ in R&D and do not make hoses with a short lifespan; they are designed for numerous years of use. The s/s protects the outer layer of rubber which unlike other flexi hoses do not have that advantage.

Most damage and deterioration of normal brake hoses is down to owners - more often than not by clamping a hose incorrectly during other brake maintenance. Brake clamps are designed to significantly reduce the loss (99%) of brake fluid, not stop it completely. I have seen some people use mole grips on brake hoses and then wonder why a few days later their brakes either hang on or the car fish-tails due to imbalance via restriction of the fluid passage.

I've run Goodridge hoses for up to 10x years - this my own personal replacement time. During that time I have never encountered any reduced braking efficiency.

All s/s hoses ask for is to be wiped clean from time to time and not twisted when being placed on the car.

So in response to your 6x year concern, do not be concerned.

Enjoy your journeys.

Regards.

Richard.  

There is some details on the goodrich site about nitrile and other products to make the inner hose

theres a variety of standards , but I could not find where is says just what hose material is used for car

hoses , lots of detail , but I could not relate what hose is used on car applications

they now have a sleeve over the braid in clear or a colour

Rubber hoses have a line down them to show if you have twisted it

braided do not , but the braid controls the route and less able to set witha twist

pete