Searching for the Original sprung pin type Choke Cable 402396/7

AidanT

Hi All,,

I know that this may not be the right place but this is my last chance saloon as I have tried everyone else! I am looking for the old style lucas type choke cable for my Mk1 GT6.

this is the one with the same sprung pin type connector that holds the detachable knob to the cable

I know that a lot of the old style T knobs fractured and broke, so they now produce them already molded to the cable but I am lucky enough to have a good quality one

Does anyone have such a cable in a tin somewhere in the back of the garage that was swapped out years ago or knows of a stock anywhere I could purchase?  

Please PM me if you have one - Happy to pay for them!  :D

Aidan

You can solder piano wire together to make a joint, use something like fuel hose and jubileeclips to

join the two outers with the wire joint inside

Some cables do have a rubber insulator (short hose) fitted in the outer to cut down engine noise being transmitted to the dashboard

just way if all else fails

• 4 months later...

Hi Again - I know this is an old thread but I am still looking  :D  :wub:

Anyway, someone told me there was an article in the magazine about this subject, it must have been some time ago before I joined in 2012. Could someone take a copy and add it here or mail it please? I know I should buy the CD, but hey guess what? CD dives are now old hat!   :mellow:       My New lap-top doesn't have one!

Aidan

Thanks Paul gratefully received.

I think my plan is potentially now to follow Petes suggestion below as the cable seems to be impossible to get; to take two cables and splice them together, maybe brazing them rather than solder and use some fuel pipe as the join outer. May cut the lengths so the join is arouns the bulkhead area so the outer pipe can seal the bulk head rather than a grommet

I will add some Pics if anyone is interestef

Aidan

You can solder piano wire together to make a joint, use something like fuel hose and jubileeclips to

join the two outers with the wire joint inside

Some cables do have a rubber insulator (short hose) fitted in the outer to cut down engine noise being transmitted to the dashboard

just way if all else fails

Pete

I may well do this as an alternative. quick question is it possible to braze the piano wire rather than solder?  and if so what type of rod? I have a MAP gas torch wo it would have to be low temp anyway

Aidan

Just as a final post on this thread I have been able to take two heater control cables and join the outer cable together using the female of a Lucas connector. This is exactly the right size to clamp the two outers together. I have also soldered the joint but this is probably not necessary. I have replaced the inner piano wire (1.5mm) from fleabay.

All complete and ready to fit.

Aidan