Oil coming out of bottom of trunnions

Hello all

Advise or tips required. Replaced my trunnions about a year ago and as we all know regular oiling of them is required. Did the oiling this weekend with a club shop bought oil gun, did the operation as recommended jacked car up and pumped oil in until the oil came out of the top of the near side one.

All ok

Repeated this on the off side but the oil decided to come out of the bottom of the trunnion not the top. Just to be on the safe side I removed the trunnion to make sure ther was no problem inside of it. Replaced in car after filling the trunnion up with oil manually so had another go with the gun on the nipple but once again out of the bottom it came.

Any suggestions how to seal the bottom where the tin plate sits, and if I can with what and how do I clean the surface to allow the sealent to dry as oil is weeping out. Or is the best thing to do buy one trunnion and fit.

PS both trunnions were brand new on fitting about 12 months ago

Regards

Andrew

I've heard of this before, some people solder the plate when fitting new trunions, just in case. If it was me I'd take it off, put it through the dish washer and solder it. Or get a new one. The trunions I replaced, last year, were solid brass, no plate, but I don't think you'll find them any more. My new trunions have the plate, I didn't solder them and as yet, they're not leaking.

I, too, have heard of this.  I concur with Dougbgt6, soldering them up is a good solution.  You are quite likely to run into the same problem if you buy a new one, so you might as well solder up the one you've got (which is still only a year old).

Let us know how you get on.

Tom 

Some time ago, I noticed that new reproduction  trunnions had a steel plate swaged into the bottom, as doug notes, instead of being solid bronze (not brass).

I suggested then to seal the bottom inside with an epoxy glue, a lot easier than soldering.

This may not be possible once they have been used, as the leaking seam will be full of oil, and the glue will not bind to the metal, while soldering will fail likewise.

Brazing may work, as it's hotter and may vapourise/burn the oil out, but any will work best on new (and cleaned) units.

John

Hi all as requested an update of my problem of the oil coming out of the bottom of the trunion. I had two choices buy a new off side trunnion or attempt to seal it. I am very fortunate in the place where I live we have an excellent car spares shop, I was looking for insperation of what to buy. I as advised to buy a product called J B Weld, it came in two tubes which you you mix in equal proportions, after cleaning the bottom of the trunnion applied this compound let it dry over night and this morning got the oil gun out and what do you know the oil came out of the top of the trunnion as it should, so it seems I have cured the problem without the expense of buying a new trunnion and the time fitting it.

Interested if anyone has heard or used this J B Weld compound and what are you thoughts.

Regards

Andrew