Do the vents in after market GT6 engine bay valances actually help?

Waynebaby

Hi All,

This is my first summer with a reasonably reliable GT6 Mk3 which means I now get to drive for several hours and experience that toasted feet sensation which I believe the GT6 is noted for. This isn't too bad on cooler days but in the recent hot weather the feeling that I'm driving whilst sat in front of the fire is not pleasant. The engine cooling system seems to cope but as well as the issue of getting out of the car looking and feeling like I'm leaving a sauna I'm also worried about the longevity of my lumenition power module, which the PO located in what is probably the hottest place on the bulkhead (directly in line with the exhaust manifold and between the heater matrix hoses)  The maximum operating temperature for the module is 85 degrees C and I reckon that it is probably operating in that region

I'm eyeing up the ventilated aluminium engine bay valances on sale in the club shop and wonder if anybody has any experience of using these and if so, whether they think the louvres actually help to keep the engine bay cooler. Any advice will be gratefully (if rather sweatiley) received

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Under bonnet temperature can be a problem with a GT6 but if your transmission tunnel and all the holes in the bulkhead are properly sealed that heat will not find its way into the cockpit and I promise you that you won't get out of the car feeling the way you describe. I've used both my GT6s in some seriously high temperatures and never suffered with the heat. And there have been many occasions when we've been glad of the heater.

I ran my GT6 without any engine valances which I believe helped the hot air to dissipate rather than being trapped. I never found any disadvantage by not having them. Certainly the engine bay stayed clean. I would however share your worry about the electronic module. Perhaps you could think about moving it to a cooler position.

John

I have heard others say the valences channel the air flow from the radiator grill and push out the hot air under the gearbox. I dunno, it sounds reasonable, why would they put them there in the first place otherwise? John is right about plugging the holes, I've not quite finished mine yet but the heat situation is much improved.

You can always pick out the GT6 drivers at the club Christmas party, they're the ones in shorts. :wub:

I proved John and Doug's point by building my Vitesse Estate, with the radiator in the back.

It must have radiated as much heat from engine, gearbox and exhaust pipe as any, but was a cold car.

All that heat that scorches your feet and leads to sartorial indiscretions by GT6 drivers comes from the radiator, as hot air, not radiated heat.

So spend more effort on plugging the holes in the bulkhead and gaps around the gearbox cover than worrying about valences.

Keep that hot air in the engine bay and drive cool, man!

B-)

John

Thanks all,

I'll start hunting for holes around cables etc. because I'm pretty sure the gearbox cover is leak tight now (lots of gorilla tape last time it was off) I clearly tempted fate about reliability though as in the last half hour the car's developed a distinct metallic clock from the rear when taking up drive. Hopefully it's just a UJ, but as neither of the two on the half shafts have seen >1500 miles since replacement I won't be impressed if it's one of those!

Wayne 

• 10 months later...

The engine bay valances were fitted to keep dust and water out of the engine bay.  They were not fitted to the first Heralds. Complaints from the motoring press, reviews, about dust and water entering the engine bay resulted in the valances.

I have run GT6 with and without the valances. The without was cooler.

But, before doing anything else, on all Herald based cars always ensure the gearbox cover is sealed.

Dave