Cylinder head leak

Andrew

Had my herald 13/60 just over a year when I bought it I noticed a oil leak from back left corner of the head, not bad just needed to wipe it at end off the day before putting in the garage. About six months ago decided to fit a lead free head all when the well and I did put some gadget compound round the suspected area. No leak for six months until today back came the leak so back with the cloth. I have been advised that this particular area is a common place for oil leaks. Three questions

1 can I cure it with any thing without removing the head

2 will it get worse

3 should I just live with it

Regards Andrew

I would also retorque the head

there are some poor washers and nuts in use and the constant panting of the head deforms the washers and you loose clamp force

whip a nut off and lookmat the washer face if its sunk a set of new and a retorque , will help

do make sure this is not from the rocker cover or the plugged hole for the rocker feed drilling

if you change the washers do 1 or 2 studs at a time

Hello

I thought out of courtesy I would give you an update. As advised purchase new nuts and washers, and replaced all on the studs. Tightened down head to the correct torque. Took the car for an good run approx 40 miles and the leak seams to have been cured. I will check the torque on the nuts in about 500 miles to make sure all is OK.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Pete

I think the washers were OK but as you suggested they are a bit squashed but for the cost of new nuts and washers and the time involved removing the rocker cover and the rocker shaft it seamed silly not to renew them.

Dougbgt6

It is one thing which annoys me on this forum, as you say people come on this forum asking for help and a lot of people give it freely but we never hear if the issues has been fixed as the help, suggests. It would be of help to everybody if the help suggested actually fixes the problem so we can all learn for future reference.

Regards

Andrew

• Like 2