Vitesse and herald panel interchangeabilty

Timo

Hi I own a 65 herald 12/50 with a near perfect body and have just purchased a 71 vitesse convertible.

I haven't picked up the Vitesse yet so I can't compare but I was wondering what body panels are interchangeable either with modification or not.also if any major components are swappable.

I'm not fussed about the chassis or running gear as this is ok on the Vitesse.

Thanks Timo

to fit a herald bonnet on a vitesse it needs raising to clear the 6 pot, and mods to the front grille etc to allow opening and rad clearance

lower bonnet wing extensions vary across the range 

and then theres front  floor  tunnel  area to compare 

Im sure theres a load of bits more  can add to the idea 

Pete

Different front valance.

Different Radiator?

But, what madness rules in brainsick men when for so slight and frivolous a cause such factious emulations shall arise?

Surely your plan is to fit the Vitesse engine and bonnet to your Herald?  

JOhn

Doors fit but need to change glass and fit convertible antiburst catches.

Bulkhead should fit, check wiper spacing later ones are different, rail above windscreen needs tapping plates for hood catches. Also sunviser mounts will need mods and convertible capping strip needs to be fitted on top edge.

Not sure on bonnet, but back line of bonnet should match bulkhead.

Regards

Paul

add to the lists  

the bonnet pivot is different with different overiders  the herald grille need serious mods to fit in front of a 6cly radiator

12/50 chassis is unlikley to have the 6 cyl rad mounts   ( a 13/60 does)

a vitesse bonnet should be easier to fit on a herald than a herald bonnet on a vitesse 

Pete

All that you've suggested is straightforward enough. The Saloon bulkhead will need minor mods to the header rail to meet Convertible spec. plus the post-1970 windscreen wiper setup is differentl;y spaced, so the swap would be obvious to anyone who knew Triumphs fairly well. It's quite a common swap, but I'm personally reluctant to leave telltale signs of 'bitsa' restorations. Similarly, the late bulkhead will have three air intake panels, the earlier one will have only two.

Reading between the lines, I guess you're proposing to leave the Vitesse bonnet on the Vitess chassis, with the bulkhead swapped from the Herald. There should be on issues with alignment in this respect.

Fitting the 1965 body to the 1971 chassis would be more problematic due to changes to the body mountings around 1966. If you wanted to do this I can provide more detail, cutting and welding of the shell is necessary,

Cheers,

Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

What about the drivers side gearbox opening in the bulkhead on a Vitesse, It may be wider to accommodate the 6 potter starter motor which is on the drivers side vs the passenger side on a Herald or is it just my perception. Others may be able to advise confirm/deny

Regards

Grumpy.