Front coil spring compressor

Andrew

Hello all

I am refurbishing my front suspension on my Herald 13/60 and of course I need to remove the front shocks and springs. Is there anyone who would be good enough to lend/rent me a spring compressor save me buying one it is one of those thing you need once and my never use it again. I can collect within a reasonable distance. I live in Derby

Thanking you all in advance

Regards

Andrew

Just to be clear, you do not need a spring compressor to remove springs/shocks as a single unit from the car.

You REALLY need them if you want to separate the spring from the shock.

Handily, if you fit lowered springs, you don't need the compressor either.

If stuck, you can buy them off ebay etc for about a tenner. However, there must be somebody in your area who has some. I thought most peeps who played with cars had them stashed somewhere in the garage/loft/kitchen (dependant on domestic circumstances) though often unused for many years...

If I cannot borrow a compressor I would only buy from the club shop. I need to go anyway to buy the parts for the suspension overhaul. While I am on the subject I will buy two new springs from the shop will my car ride higher as I presume the old springs have been compressed over the years.

Andrew

Buying springs is very tricky.

Speak toGarth at the shop, he should be able to answer any questions.

I know that the club supplied uprated springs that were stiffer, but made the car ride higher, which is bizarre, usually stiffer springs are used to lower and firm a cars suspension. 

Anyway, Garth will tell you what is what. Check the springs are an exact match for original 13/60 spec. Again some suppliers sell "one size fits all" which is not great.

Measure the fitted spring length with the caris normal running position. I am sure the factory figures are out there somewhere....and then you can see if yours have compressed. 

Ride height is also affected by the spring pan position on the shock absorber. Again, these vary, some (he black ones) certainly used to be far too high meaning cars looked daft with massive gaps between tyre and wheel arch. So if replacing shocks, again do your research (or buy shocks with adjustable seat height, but they are not exactly cheap)

I got an MOT advisory that my old springs were RUSTY! :lol: Of course they're rusty! They're 40 year old road springs! However, last year, when I replaced my shockers I did the springs, all standard, bought from the club shop. The GT6 Haynes manual has the spring lengths. I don't know if the Herald Haynes manual does, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

This time around the old springs were about half an inch too short. Previously, when I first bought the car in 1978, :o the springs were two inches too short, due to the previous owner towing a boat too heavy for the car. He'd also broken a couple of leaves in the rear spring. When I bought the car I thought it had been lowered but no, it was just knackered!

Hello Andrew I've got a compressor my engineer mate knocked up for me - typically over engineered! Worked well for my refurb using adjustable avo's. you're more than welcome to borrow it. Lichfield.

I don't know if the spring top plate differs between models as there are 3 holes drilled to house the top plate threads.

post-1605-0-35485300-1480681076_thumb.jpg

Adrian

Hello Adrian

I will send you a personal message so I can arrange to take you up on your kind offer. Not sure when I am going to do the suspension as I was planning to do it this side of Christmas but it looks like it will now be after the festively season but I will be in touch

Thank you

Andrew

Again topical (see my notes on engine core plugs above) but i just fitted my spit front springs today. And again, not a job I'm in a hurry to repeat. Should be simple, but there's a real knack to getting the buggers back in and lined up..

Took a while for Canley's to supply them as they had problems with their suppliers but I'm glad I persevered as the PO (some time before 1983..) had fitted a pair that it turns out differed in length by well over an inch and god knows what spring rate. Maybe explains the, err, challenging, handling I remember.

Anyway, getting the springs onto the shocks is a safe and quick cinch with the right tool, as mentioned above, two plates with appropriate holes pulled together by long bolts, and if Adrian's offer falls through for any reason you are welcome to borrow mine, assuming Herald springs are the same. I'm in Worcestershire but happy to mail it at cost.