Help with Herald Door Alignment

andyjwill

post-2131-0-99655000-1487604689_thumb.jpg

post-2131-0-61879400-1487604693_thumb.jpg

post-2131-0-91575000-1487604696_thumb.jpg

Hi

Just joined TSSC and was hoping for some advice please. My herald 1200 1963 convertible driver door is out of alignment in that the top part is further away than the bottom.

The car has a bit of tub spread that I have improved and this is the worst alignment issue I cannot resolve.

The door needs to slammed shut hard and can be difficult to open as I guess it is catching on the striker plate. 

I've had the car 3 years and have regularly driven it but want to improve it now and get involved in the TSSC community.

Thanks to anyone who can give me advice.

Andrew

Gee whizz thats a fit or not,

have you adjusted the hinge to door or the packing hinge to bulkhead?

first idea is the rear tub need more packers under the reward body mounts, thats the two on the diff crossmember and the chassis extension arms that will help the tapered gap

as for the proud waist , have you over pulled the tub for a spread solution,?

its unusual for the door to be proud at the waist to that extent

Have the doors had a re skin??

whats the fit like to the a post and bonnet wing tails.¿

Pete

Thanks Pete

Afraid I'm a novice when it comes to all this terminology.

I have used ratchets to pull try and resolve the tub spread and this was relatively successful. I don't think it has changed the proud waist.

I haven't adjusted the hinges as wasnt too sure what to do.

The fit to the bonnet is ok I think. Passenger door is ok.

No evidence in history to show doors have been rescinded

Thanks

Andrew

The hinge to door is adjustable for in/ out flush fitting, there are also fibre packing between the hinge and the A post

Each hinge has two bolts and a set screw fixing them to the door and three bolts fixing to the A post

Do not overtightennthem as the caged plate is quite thin.

the idea of the setscrew is you nip this and you can push the door around when its how you like it(or not)

then lock the setting with the bolts.

Andrew.

Do you have the proper Triumph Work Shop Manual for this vehicle ??

If not, I would urge you to get one as it has a very detailed section on panel alignment; I think I may have pages relating to this and if I can find them I will scan FYI.

Panel alignment is a methodical process which needs to be done in the correct order, rather than a couple of tweaks here and there with a dose of luck thrown in on the off chance it will sort itself out - the reality is somewhat different !!

Pete has provided a good insight, but if I can find the paperwork it may help further. I will do my best.

Good luck.

Richard.

Andrew.

Not quite what I was hoping for - the b/w scans are for bonnet adjustments. However, if you do not have a WSM then a search on the Internet should be able to locate the publication and the page numbers shown on the scanned copies will be in the same areas as all body adjustments are carried out in that section. 

The colour pages are generic info.

Good luck.

Richard.

SCAN 1.pdf

SCAN 2.pdf

SCAN 3.pdf

SCAN 4.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Can you post of a full side-on image of the car? This will show us the height relationship between the rear shell, door, bulkhead and bonnet. I suspect a poorly executed chassis rebuild, but the root cause could be in one of several different areas,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...