Fuel tank

Ray H

Can anyone out there recommend a source of replacement fuel tanks for the Herald/Vitesse? Although mine does not leak, the end of the filler neck has distorted to the extent the cap is a very poor fit and discharges fuel particularly when full. The car is a Vitesse, but I would prefer a Herald item to allow the extra space in the boot. Regards, Ray.

Hello Ray.

Are you sure the filler neck is that distorted ??

Only ask this because when I first purchased my Vitesse, it had the standard non locking fuel cap. When the car was parked leaning to the left with a full tank of fuel, the fuel would leak out from the top.

I replaced the original fuel cap with a WASO locking unit which not has a very good rubber seal but the locking mechanism secures it even more so. The WASO caps are a period replacement item so they are not out of place.

Regards.

Richard.  

If you can, look for a new rubber seal; this may just repair any damage by virtue of being thicker and more flexible than a years-old version. I know they're available, all you need is the diameter of your original.

I've also used a local branch of the Fuel Tank Renu franchise, the link is below:

http://www.brownlowradiators.com/product/fuel-tank-re-nu/

If you have one in your local area they may be worth a call.

This thread reminds me of my old MG Metro Turbo, which sprayed out an alarming fountain of petrol from the filler cap if the tank was full and you went round a left hand bend too quickly. 

my 2000 had an after market locking cap , which poured out  on corners,  took me a while to realise it was a add on bayonet rim which needed its own seal

between it and the tank..   a real completely useless design which wasted time sealing barrels and rings and washing paint when sat down level to get a good eye on where the heck is this leaking and spotted the obvious ,, it off gone  and good riddance,  just a simple oil filler cap now seals for life

if someone wants the fuel so be it,  its not the end of the world these days .

Pete

I have a similar problem with the hinged lockable cap on my GT6 MkIII.  Despite renewing the top-hat seal it does not seat firmly in the nozzle when closed allowing petrol to slop out.  Cannot understand why as the whole hinged cap assembly seems to be in good order.  The price of a new one is astronomical too ! 

Hi Ray, 

Won't you be for ever filling up with fuel if you change to a Herald tank?  The Vitesse's tank is small by today's standards and the earlier Herald one even tinier.  I'd be concerned that your mileage range might be somewhat limited.  It depends on how you use the car, of course.  My modern car has a range of about 450-miles between fill-ups - the Vitesse is nearer 190.

Tom 

Tom is correct, and there are plenty of decent second hand units about. 

If you live near Leatherhead Surrey it will be worth attending the Triumph event held there to see if you can secure one.

Failing that, new are always on the cards.

Regards.

Richard.

Many thanks to all those who have replied. I have ordered a new Herald tank from Fitchetts. I reasoned that a repair, knowing my luck, would result in the tank springing a leak somewhere, probably around the awful drain area. The smaller tank will afford more boot space and there are plenty of filling stations on the way to the shows. I always carry a fuel can anyway. If anyone wants a sound Vitesse tank, give me a shout, its free if you want it, just pick it up. Cheers, Ray.