GT6 Electronic ignition OR timing issue

AidanT

Richard ,

As a family we have (had) nearly 300 years service with pre and post Rootes Group

with Hillmans from 1932 to my last solara in 82

Dad had a test Easidrive which decided to remain in solid drive and on firing up went out the end wall of the garage

so why do I run a Triumph Ha!

Pete.

I reckon it's because we all like the challenge of Triumph vagaries & we are certainly never disappointed but often surprised in a baffling way !!

You have to love them.

Exiting via the garage wall, I suppose it saves locking the garage doors up again :) 

Regards.

Richard.

Yes he went a bit red and told then to take the £#€#_×%';/* thing away

the works sent their bricky round to repair the wall

he was in the Commer production controll office when the V2 landed on the new works canteen 1944

Seen the photos that made a big hole as well .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just to follow on from Aidans spark jumping misfire hic ups,

whilst replacing a failed viscous fan drive makes most peculiar rattling noises i decided i Must check the dizzy.

Ive been meaning to check mine out as under load she does the odd spit and cough , and flip the lid off the dizzy and there it is

this is Lucas  45D6 with a sprung brush in the cap opposite design to the sprung contact on the delco rotor and sure enough the brush has 

burnt away and the red rotor has a  very deep spark eroded top sweeper

so lesson dont preach to the converted   ha !  

new brush and rotor and back to full performance 

so self eroded spark intensifiers dont work .

I did order a new cap from a supplier but they have sent  45d4  So need to remove 2 cylinders ...and add a turbocharger !!!

if this is lift of the rotor cam thats about normal 

always give small squirt of oil down the centre screw/rivet and a squirt down inside the base to  oil the top bush in the lower casing

this is not  realy engine lubricated     Delco ,are  notorious for top bush failure , they have a  oiled felt pad in the base,   gets ignored 

lucas are more bullet proof  but many contact plates have a small Oil symbol stamped in. 

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again

Well It passed its MOT! however....

The symptoms are back - no obvious burning in the new dizzy cap HOWEVER.. The rotor arm is easy to pull off, the old one was a much tighter fit, or the Delco Dizzy cap does not locate nicely, can someone confirm if this is standard problem?

When I take off the cap and arm then put them back this problem goes away for a few miles then goes back

Both parts are from the Club shop so if they are poor quality then Grrr,

Any suggestions please?

Links to NOS equipment for sale?

Any solutions out there for poor fitting Delco Dizzy Caps?

Off to France in two weeks so have to fix this 

Thx

Aidan

My rotor arm is a VERY stiff fit, I can't pull it off by hand once fully on. I have to use a flat blade screw driver to lift it up to a point where I can pull it. I think I got it from Moss, it was described as a Red Rotor.  My Delco dizzy cap is slightly difficult to locate, but once in position and locking springs applied, it's immovable. I got the cap from the club shop.

Thanks for the info Doug. I seem to remember that the arm is pretty tight on one I had previously. 

i've also just noticed that I had a slight rocking motion when I pushed down on the dizzy cap as I have just swapped both over for another set I had from the club.  The rotor arm connector has to be bent quite high to get the 9mm reach so I'm pretty sure there's not a full 100% contact to the middle carbon contact on the cap

Does anyone know where I could get some better quality OE parts?

Added a drop of oil to the oil point as well

Aidan

delco repro caps are all pretty carp fit , i reckon its the shrink from the mould that means they wont drop in the wonky pressed steel base

i have dremel cut a smaller cap spigot with some success , the best option is to replace the blasted thing with a  modern alternative

thats a bit radical but delco and life span  and retro caps are  problematic .  

having burnt a hole through the red rotor on my 2000 lucas 45D6  due to brush disintegration.

I got a replacement which was quick but a 45D4 so not much use

I now have the  repro   45D6 lucas cap and its a good  fit but definitely a repro,  in its finish.

123 is going extreme , club shop sell lucas with tahco drive

H &H  , Dizzy doctor  or Accuspark  may  be a alternative lucas replacement

pete

H&H rebuilt this dizzy a few years ago so I don't really want to bin it

I have seen a Delco "Quality" Cap and rotor arm being sold by Simon-bbc. I know from other threads his kit is good, and the rotor arm he's selling has a "bobble" on the top similar to those sold by Holden Classics

Another test this evening, though I'm not sure what it is that causes the alteration - could be high revs? low revs? or just mileage

It would be helpful if anyone else has sourced these and their experience or can advise on an alternative source

Thx

Aidan

Pete

I think the register on the cap is too small for the female slot in the dizzy body

I have been able to source some NOS Delco rotors, so I think that is hopefully part of the solution. This evenings test run - exactly the same route to the MOT station and back (Did I say it had Passed!!) and not a hint of the problem :wub: GRRRRR. Maybe I just had a bad rotor? or maybe i did not get the cap to sit correctly

Anyway Collection of spares being purchased and a few more test runs me thinks  :unsure:

Aidan

Thanks and purchased!

Btw just checked the old cap Sitting it on a glass plate it is not flat and rocks I know it actually sits on the ledge but it does hint at poor quality

I will soon have oe rotors and cap ????

Aidan

Good run out today back roads to dual carriageway and no sign of any issue

I guess it can only be duff replacement parts

Anyway I will have a nice stock of them by the end of the week!!!

Aidan