What size blanking plug for Vitesse head water take off?

pwhit_GT6Mk3

Evening all,

Is anyone able to help?  I have a Mk3 GT6 with what I have been told is a Vitesse cylinder head on it, which makes sense due to there being a water take off point at the rear.  Would anyone be able to tell me what sized 'blanking plug' I need to order so I can block this off?

I am currently overseas and want to order a few bits and pieces so I can have them waiting for me when I get back - hence I can't nip out and measures the size myself!

Cheers,

Paul..  

Paul,

That is the take off for the heater, and it's just over the block drain plug and the 'sump' in the water jacket that lead there.   Greater volume arpund that point, and furthest frm the intake/outflow at the front of the head, so low flow and at greatest risk of overheating.     I don't have a heater on my race Vitesse, but rather than blank it off, I connect it directly to the heater retun pipe, than goes under the manifolds, back to the back of the water pump housing.   So continuous flow, ensuring heat removal from bore 6, and 5.

See No.30, here: https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mki/ii-mki-manifolds

John

Hi John,

Is there a special connection that I can use to do this?  As I said, this is for my GT6, which has a heater, so the outlet from the head is redundant as there isn't a feed in point for it...  I have seen other GT6's with the take off just blanked off, so I didn't even think about the issue of water flow in that area, but now you mention it I can see the potential for overheating!

Paul.

Is there just a hole?

There should be a connector, threaded at one end to go in the head, and barbed at the other for a hose.   Loop the hose over and down to the cross pipe back to the water pump housing, not too sharply, you don't want it to kink.

But I see why you were misled.    The Canley catalogue shows only a plug, and I can't find that connector anywhere on that site, although I have one on my engine, and a spare, that I thought I had from them.  Loverly shiny brass!

The thread is BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread), but that is no problem as Triumph used various threads, especilaly when using parts that weren't mechanical.   BSPT is useful and was used for eg sump plugs as it's a conical thread, that tightens and seals without a gasket, and nowadays used for air pressure and hydraulic uses.     This is 5/8".

So a Google for "air line fittings  thread to barb adaptor 5/8" BSPT"  finds this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cylinder+head+to+heater+connector+Triumph&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiegIGgmtHUAhUJY1AKHeP_BVsQ_AUIBigB&biw=1920&bih=950#tbm=isch&q=air+line+fittings++thread+to+barb+adaptor+5/8%22+BSPT

Dozens to choose from!  And the first for instance, at £3.95, is worth a punt, even if it proves not to fit!

Goodluck!

John

The Vitesse 2 Litre head should be fitted with a blacking plug. The header is fed from the heated inlet manifold which in turn is fed from the thermostat housing. Its the same as the GT6. Only the pre mid 1965 Vitesse 6 had a heater feed from the head.

Dave

The 2.5 litre TR5/6 used the heater feed at the back of the head. If the engine is the domed piston type then no problems, KE10,001 on-ward. But if its the earlier flat piston engine then it would as we know result in low compression.

Some recondition head do have the plug removed during process so it may well be a Vitesse head.

Dave 

Pete, From mid 1965 the Vitesse 6 was fitted with Strombergs as standard. Hence the head plug. Yes I concur Vitesse 6 1962 up to mid 1965 the heater was fed from the back of the head.

But these heads are not full length and are not suitable for the later full length head engines.

Dave

The who you what, Dave!?

The rear head take off has no relevance to compression.  Only if you fitted the 2.5L head ona 2L cranked engine.

And "these heads are not full length and are not suitable for the later full length head engines."   Do you mean heads from a 1600?   They are the same length as later heads, but different stud thicknesses (if that matters), very different chamber size and shape, and ports-in-a-line, so not suitable to put on a later engine?   

John

ive never yet seen any head  mk1 mk2 or whatever that doesnt have a tapping to take a std bsp plug at the back end o/s corner

plug it or use it so long as you keep the bypass operational.

as i see it all  with the heated manifold take off the heater and bypass from the manifold three way and the head is just plugged .

unless its been modified 

Pete

• Like 1

The Vanguard 6, 2 Litre Mk1, also had the header feed from the rear of the head.

Yes they all have the tapping. The bypass was only used on the heated manifold set-up. Not on the head fed heater set-up.

The bypass reduces the water flow in the manifold when the heater is off. Theory being the heater is off in the summer and this will reduce the heating in the manifold.

More hot water flow is required in the winter hence with the heating use this is achieved. Clever people.

Dave 

Not clever enough to stop making it!      When Triumph are said to have saved money by introducing domed pistons, so that the height of heads for 2L enegine did not have to be machined down, to stop drilling and tapping a hole in the head would seen a trivial change that would save lots of money!

JOhn

Jon, The reason the outlet was present on the tall head, domed piston, was because it was still required on the TR6. I agree it could have been removed from the earlier flat piston 2 Litre head. It was removed from the later 1300 and 1500 heads.

Dave