Strange symbols

JohnD

This arose in Another Place, where only a partial answer was available.    I hope you can tell me.

Wiring diagrams in the Haynes Spitfire manual contain variations on a simple symbol, but no translation.   The symbol may appear as a diagonally crossed circle, the same with alternate quarters black and white, or a circle half black and white, with the dividing diameter either vertical or horizontal.  See below.

A  diagonal crossed circle is an alternative symbol for a light bulb, but that would not be appropriate where the symbols appear, and the other symbol, a circle with a twist across it, is used where a bulb would be.

Anyone know what they mean?

John

post-139-0-18876600-1498475213_thumb.jpg

A similar system in the Haynes manual for the Dolomite shows they are all junctions and each symbol gives the location of the junction.

In this example a circle in  a circle is a column junction, diagonal line is the facia, cross is body, horizontal line gearbox,cross with top and bottom section blacked out is hazard switch. 

Not sure these match your drawing application are you sure there is not a key on another page or diagram. Haynes Morris Marina manual uses same system but sadly no key on any drawings there either.

That's odd, this only came up a couple of days ago. On the Stop light thread. But you were on that, weren't you? Or was that the Other Place you mean?

As Ben says they're junctions in junction boxes. On the mk4 spitfire there is only one junction box and it's behind the glove compartment. You can see it on this diagram next to the fuse box.

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemImages/Large/GRID005845.gif

Why should there be a junction box on, say,  the earth wire for the hazard warning switch (53) which is surrounded by them?  Some two on each of the wires to the indicators.

Or between the flasher unit (66) and swicth (67)?

Especially as there is only one such box, according to doug.

Do all wires go to it?

John

Badwolf, (Bad to his friends) said all the wires thus marked on his diagram went through the one junction box behind the glove box, plus a black wire, not marked. What Ben says indicates there is more than one junction box on other models. My own car's wiring diagram has none of these markings and the car has no junction boxes. My guess is this was a design philosophy to produce a modular wiring loom, assembled in sections which was later dropped. 

Another set of experts in Another Place have returned, exhausted by intellectual struggle, and have independently found that yes, these symbols indicate either junction boxes or splices.  

In some cases, they may indicate a single junction box, where wires and symbols scatterd across the diagram, in reality come together.

Thnak you for your insights!

John

They are smoke pressure control valves to stop overloads!

The same signs are present in the BL manual. They appear to be interconnection - plug/sockets or bullets. The numbers may refer to a plug/socket number in the loom? 

Good point John.

All very confusing.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the strange symbol. My theory is that each different symbol refers to a separate junction box somewhere in the car. Mind you it is only a theory. Haynes (and the same convention is used in my BL workshop manual) couldn't use the same circle with cross for every junction box in the car and if my original thoughts on the stop light thread are correct in that a single symbol is used in numerous places on the circuit diagram to indicate that the wire goes through the same junction as others with the same symbol, that could be why there are different variations of the same type if symbol... I think!!!