Noisy Distributor

Froc

Hi all.

I have a tappet-type noise on the Vitesse, but it's not coming from the rockers. Having listened to the engine running with a screwdriver to my ear (!), I am sure the noise is coming from the dizzy (amplified through the block). The car is running fine otherwise. I would appreciate a bit of wisdom before I go any further. Dizzy endfloat against the cam? Loose/broken bobweight springs? I would be grateful for any insight you can offer.

Thanks (as always!)

Froc

Drive gear end float can make a lot of tappety noise if its excessive, there must be some float or you sieze it

theres worn dizzy spindle bushes and shaft wear due to lack of oiling does the rotor shaft wag around

use a long screwdriver against the block and dizzy post and stick ear on the handle it will shownwhere the noise is eminating, dont get it in the fan ,

Or the HT leads

one more excessive idea is the tail camshaft bearings can wear, this makes a tappet noise you cant trace,, quite common

pete

Colin, his floggle toggle had fell of his whim wham  

Froc, do check the base clamp may be different diameter to clamp the body  there's two sizes of clamp so it could be too small or too big

and if supplied with one theres changes /evolution how  the  clamp is bolted  to the pedestal  just to make something  simple a nightmare