GT6 Mk3 Door handle removal

Paulfc

And to get the door card off to release the inner handled push the escutcheon intowards the door and release the pin holding the handle on its spindle  dont let it drop in the grass  

Can we ask whybit needs removal.....could it need the plastic part we have in the 3d print  posting 

We have one onntest right now... its working well

Pete

Thanks Guys for the responses.

Doug, I'll check the link out this evening and start taking the cod liver oil to lubricate the wrists !

Pete,

I already have the door cards off as I'm prepping the car for some body work repairs and and then painting. I'm not taking the body off as I haven't got the space etc. but have  removed all the other external "bits and pieces". I'd like to leave the handles on as part of the work to be done is adjusting the door/bonnet gaps etc. and then remove them quickly before painting. Is the removal quick/easy once you know the process? 

I trust this makes sense.

Paul

Cod liver oil?!!  I would advise olive oil, if you still want the family to come near you. :lol:

They come off quite easily, getting them back is more troublesome. Look and examine the rods between interior and exterior handles and their connections. Photos would be a good aid in reconstruction. Also you will probably need new rubber gaskets for the exterior handle, Canley's are out of stock, but I think Rimmers have them, at the moment.

As Peter has indicated we have had intimate knowledge of my 73 Spitfire MKIV passenger door handle/lock recently.

I needed to remove the door handle unit which is held on to the outer door panel by a cage secured with two bolts and at Peter's suggestion removed the part of the door inner carcass that obstructed access to this cage which helped greatly when removing and refitting.  If you don't need to remove the the latching mechanism on the door edge you won't have any problems with the rods that connect to the internal door handle but you will need to disconnect the vertical link from the outer door handle to the latching mechanism, it slips on a rod and is held on with an internal star lock, don't lose it as it essential that it is refitted.

If you need any more info pm me.

Barrys spit had the internal star lock missing so with out thinking caps on I suggested a cut down terminal block connector

And  with a suitable size cut in half ,used it as a solderless nipple , with 8 screwdrivers and 16 fingers got it on the rod and did the screw up

It worked , amd the 3d printed cam push rod is under some   ikea testing for a while see how it lasts 

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2017 at 9:41 AM, dougbgt6 said:

Pete, very resourceful! I found myself short of a star lock, they are used in several places on the cars. Being of duller wits I bought a 50 piece selection box of Fleabay. A worthwhile investment for a fiver.

Hi Doug. Could you give me an eBay reference for these ?

I didn't have any star washers at the time but we had a small electrics terminal strip, cut one off, cut it in half and fitted it on the end of the rod and tightened up the grub screw.  If anything it was easier to fit than a star washer.

I have since bought a kit that doug suggests.