engine no

david lewis

h all,

I am a bit worried about  my engine no---the log book says GE40998HE but if I am reading the right no on the engine it says FD34646HE what engine does this no refer to?

the car has only done 56000miles (old mots validate ) this so it would be a bit strange to have the engine changed.

anyone got any ideas ?

cheers

You do not say if you have a Herald (GE engine) or a Spitfire (FD engine) but both engine numbers signify a small crank 1300.

FD would have had a better cam profile from new, and twin carbs obviously.

It is not that odd that the engine has been changed at 56k.

Cheers

Colin

From a previous question, I suspect that David has a herald 13/60.

Nothing wrong with an FD numbered engine instead of the GE numbered engine - technically it is superior as it has a better camshaft (if the original cam for the FD engine is still present)

At the age the car is, anything could have happened to the car and the engine - for example, is it fitted with a single carb or twin carbs, and is the distributor a Lucas one or an AC Delco one with a rev counter drive.

What you will need to do is to get the V5c updated with the new engine number - send it with a letter to the DVLA saying that the engine that is currently fitted was present when you bought the car.

With cars of this age they don't get hung up about needing details of where the engine came from - and the FD engine size is identical to the GE engine size.

thanks for your replies,

the car is a  red 1969 13/60 which was fitted with a new all syncro box 12000 miles ago according to the history file I got with the car but there is no mention of an engine change.

the car has retained the single 150 Stromberg carb and manifolds and lucas dizzy.

I cannot research the history of the car any further as the owner is now sadly deceased,

what I was worried about was that the car had been fitted with a 1200 engine but it seems there  is nothing to be concerned about apart from why the engine was replaced and of course the dvla will need to be notified .

I have copies of the registration docs for the last 35 years (only 3 owners  from new) and they al show the GE engine fitted.

the car was previously owned by a guy called mark taylor ( from Sutton ) who was a tssc member and attended many shows judging by the number of plaques and stickers on the car--perhaps some of the older members remember the car and owner.

any info gratefully received.

cheers

hi guys ,further to my last post I am wondering what differences there are between the GE engine and a FD  engine apart from the camshaft. so that if I need to order parts do I order spitfire or 13/60 parts such as the clutch and  plugs  etc and are the tappet gaps the same.

sorry to be posting  what some would see as silly questions but this is my first triumph and I am on a steep learning curve.

cheers

I suspect that you will find 99% of the parts are identical, and you should treat it as though it was a GE 13/60 GE Engine as it would appear that the ancillaries are the original Herald 13/60 ones.

The clutch will be identical between a Spitfire MK3 (FD engine) and a Herald 13/60 with a GE engine. 

Plug gaps identical, points gap identical, tappet gaps identical.

Timing should always set "by ear", so the original Triumph settings are only a starting point and bear no relationship with what they need to be for modern low octane unleaded fuel.