engine swap

Alan Crook

Hello Alan.

I'm with Peter James and they take a very pragmatic view on items that increase or improve safety. On declaring that I had fitted MGF seats to the Vitesse for comfort and safety reasons (headrests) they were very happy with the upgrade stating that the seats would reduce any whiplash injuries should a touch ever occur. 

Therefore if you declare the rationale for the upgrade and can state that safety has been improved as a result, then I feel you will be viewed favourably.

At the end of the day, any mods should be declared upfront to prevent Insurance Payout Wriggle !! 

Good luck.

Richard.

Perhaps you may be better contacting the insurance company and get some quotes / views / restrictions from them regarding engine sizes. I'd probably look to do that first before getting ahead of yourself and a phone call could save you a lot of grief and wasted spannering hours.

In 1972/73, when Triumph upgraded the USA Spec MKIV Spitfire with a 1300 engine to a 1500 engine, all they did was change the engine, leaving the remainder of the drive train, brakes and steering unchanged.

In 1974, the UK/European upgrade from the MKIV with a 1300 engine to a 1500, with a 1500 engine, the gearbox was also changed from a three rail box to a single rail box.  The other running gear, suspension, brakes and steering remained unchanged. 

A few years later they introduced dual circuit brakes.  

• Like 1

One detail you will want to consider is clutch.

The 3 rail box (presume that is what is on your 1300, it was from the factory) has a 10 spline input shaft and 6 1/2" clutch. The 1500 spit uses a 21 spline shaft and 7 1/4" clutch

Simple solution is a conversion clutch plate, OR use the flywheel off the 1300.

You can also use the exhaust manifold off the 1300. May lose 1 or 2 bhp, but (a) you don't need a new frontpipe. and (b) the 1500 manifold/downpipe is renowned for being a problem and needing regular gasket changes.

At some poibt you will probably want to swap the diff to he 1500 type, but that is a straight swap.

31 minutes ago, clive said:

One detail you will want to consider is clutch.

The 3 rail box (presume that is what is on your 1300, it was from the factory) has a 10 spline input shaft and 6 1/2" clutch. The 1500 spit uses a 21 spline shaft and 7 1/4" clutch

Simple solution is a conversion clutch plate, OR use the flywheel off the 1300.

The conversion plate to use a Spit 1500 flywheel and clutch on a 3 rail gearbox is a GCP103

https://www.canleyclassics.com/demoapp/?ptno=GCP103

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005553

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/plate-clutch-7-1-4-gcp103af.html?assoc=148445

THANKS EVERYONE ,already done the single rail and o/d swap,fellow from Leamington sorted me i think it was a Toledo   6 .1/2 inch clutch plate 21 spline . Now where do i get a good  1300 or 1500 engine. or shall i get my old one rebuilt. Dont tell the wife.