Are these door skins original

Paul H

Folded, then welded under quarterlights and spots near door locks and upper hinge. They were brazed by the factory,  you will find the spots of braze if you remove the skin. Don't weld until refitted to car and you are sure the door fits correctly and not distorted. 

• Thanks 1

Hello Paul and Paul,

Paul Barlow is right that you have to be careful of heat-distortion when doing the lower repair section.  In my experience, it is easier to fit a complete new skin.  Of course, you then also get the chance to coat all the mating surface with paint - something Mr. Triumph often neglected to do.

Let us know how you get on.

Tom

18 hours ago, Paul H said:

I purchased the doors to practice welding and spraying and as i only paid 99 pence on ebay for them is indicitative of the work that needs to be done so a total reskin isnt on the cards

Paul

Have you got a joddler? (ideally with a holepunch too)

I have repaired teh bottoms of doors a few times in the distant past, using flat sheet steel and simple bending techniques (lengths of bed-iron in the vice and a hammer)

I cut the old ones off approx an inch below the swage line. That keeps rigidity and helps stop distortion. Joddle the edge and overlap the repair. Works pretty well, though full skin better. But then again, the cars I did that work to cost sub £100....

4 hours ago, clive said:

Have you got a joddler? (ideally with a holepunch too)

I have repaired teh bottoms of doors a few times in the distant past, using flat sheet steel and simple bending techniques (lengths of bed-iron in the vice and a hammer)

I cut the old ones off approx an inch below the swage line. That keeps rigidity and helps stop distortion. Joddle the edge and overlap the repair. Works pretty well, though full skin better. But then again, the cars I did that work to cost sub £100....

I checked on New door skins and they start at £70 and for NOS £120 

Paul 

When I did lower door-skins, I found on one door evidence of previous damage/repairs including much filler, so it didn't give a straight or flat edge to weld to.  But with a bit of fettling (and some swearing) I ended up with a reasonable fit/finish.

Paul: how much are the repair panels?

Tom