Carb needle question - amongst others!

Anglefire

A number of years ago I had a 1500 powered Herald estate. I rebuilt the engine with a Mk3 profile cam, fitted an extractor exhaust and free flow air-cleaners. AAT needles, with yellow springs, were too weak. AAQ with yellow springs were right. Went to the TR International in 2005 with a convoy of TR and had no problems keeping up! I was hauling the beer.  Brakes were Vitesse 2 Litre, 3.89 diff, overdrive and a camber compensater on the rear.  I sold it like a fool and it has just disappeared. Hi Ho.

Dave 

Well, slightly later than planned initially due to being too late in the evening to do anything and then this morning I had to change the heating pump - which should have been simple - but I couldn't undo the one pump flange so had to drain it completely and change the isolation valve :wacko:

And its raining now. So all I've done is fitted the K&N's, stud stack and the ABG needles from Roger. If it drys out later I will try and give it a run - or tomorrow as the forecast it better - assuming it doesn't snow of course!

IMG_1409.thumb.jpg.621b8bc2ac651fc297c0da9a3b7eb886.jpgIMG_1408.thumb.jpg.75af64a5bb348619ef6ba2b94decde7a.jpgIMG_1410.thumb.jpg.733d48f6bdc8437233dc3a3ea890292f.jpgIMG_1413.thumb.jpg.51c0c756adb04c352340c66849f855fe.jpg

One question - do I need to fix the fuel pipe running across the filters to anything?

40 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Not the same air cleaners but the application is the same and shown in the picture. Like the rams.

Thanks Dave - they look good - shame you can't see them normally!

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Not important but originals with bundy pipe had a P clip on one of the filter bolts

I've got some P clips - I had thought about it briefly, but only a passing thought! 

But I'll put them on now (Well, not now, but later before i go out again in it!)

That's quite a lean needle Dave - though I appreciate the yellow spring will richen it up a bit!

image.thumb.png.1e4366f7b8d45512577b37ddf733fbb9.png

I've sticking with the red spring and the ABQ for now (On the grounds I have them and a couple more to try as well) before I start changing them for ones I don't have!

I will get it to run "ok" first then get some miles on it before a trip to a rolling road later in the year. :) 

The choice of AAQ needles and Yellow Springs comes from original work carried out by SAH/Triumph Tune many years ago. The range given is AAT AAQ AAM AAB starting from lean to rich. In my own work tuning these engines I agree with their recommendation. The AAQ is much richer than the standard ABT/ late ADN needles. The Yellow springs help retain the low end torque as when you increase the breathing this reduces the low rev end gas speed. There is a lack of power below 3.000rpm which is not good for both the 1500 engine and general road driving. The range of needles coupled with Yellow springs spread both the torque and the BHP over a wider rev range. Rams/Stacks also help spread the torque and BHP.

Only trying to help.

Dave     

Took the car out for another spin this morning - but still not right. I’ve done some twiddling and gone back to basics - and essentially it looks like the front carb float is either knackered or the needle valve is sticking as the petrol is flooding into the Venturi (?) via the needle. 

I also had a water leak from the rear pipe that goes into the heater - but nipping up the clip seems to have sorted that one. 

3 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Took the car out for another spin this morning - but still not right. I’ve done some twiddling and gone back to basics - and essentially it looks like the front carb float is either knackered or the needle valve is sticking as the petrol is flooding into the Venturi (?) via the needle. 

I also had a water leak from the rear pipe that goes into the heater - but nipping up the clip seems to have sorted that one. 

Hello Mark

Remove the float lid and and float needle a jet and check for rubbish behind needle jet and have a good look at the needle valve(is it the latter rubber tipped type?)

If not replace them, check floats for holes

Set the float height accurately! I know people say it does not matter but if they are both the same it help getting a balance.

Are you on a standard fuel pump?

Roger

I will do Roger - but it’s too cold to do anymore today. Sky was nice and blue earlier - now it’s grey and foreboding ? if I didn’t know better I would say snow was coming! 

Interesting I can’t see an overflow on the float chambers - my old carbs have them, but seemingly not these. 

They still have the waxstats on too. I do have some conversion jets in stock but not the bits that you fit to make the choke work. Weirdly the butterfly’s have had the poppet valves soldered shut. 

23 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I will do Roger - but it’s too cold to do anymore today. Sky was nice and blue earlier - now it’s grey and foreboding ? if I didn’t know better I would say snow was coming! 

Interesting I can’t see an overflow on the float chambers - my old carbs have them, but seemingly not these. 

They still have the waxstats on too. I do have some conversion jets in stock but not the bits that you fit to make the choke work. Weirdly the butterfly’s have had the poppet valves soldered shut. 

Hello Mark

That sounds like a rubbish set of carbs.

I have an old set of carbs I will have a look at them to see if they are serviceable if they are you can have them.

Roger

Hi Roger. I do have the pair off my old engine - which were ok - but the choke tended to stick and I had to fit return springs on the throttle to get the butterfly’s to close properly!

I will probably swap them over - I kept with the ones that came with the engine because the throttles worked nicely as did the choke. But seems they are not as good as i thought! 

But if you have a spare set that are in serviceable condition that would be fantastic :D

Hello Mark

Sorry the old set I have are Kn***ed

I do have the set that was on the car which you could try or maybe we could do a swap?

I have no intention of refitting them now I have gone to the trouble of EFI!

It is far more tune-able when you understand it (still learning) and I am hoping the new engine will give good power and economy when cruising(advantage of EFI can be leaned right off)

Roger

Mark.

If you are having issues with a decent set of carbs, why not get your "best" set properly overhauled. It seems a pity to throw the game away for the sake of make & do carbs.

I have used Gower & Lee in the past and are absolutely A1.

Cheaper than EFi and will completely transform the cars induction; you could even specify your spring & needle requirement. 

With the current poor weather now could be the time to do that.

I had my Vitesse carbs rebuilt by the company and my goodness what a superb job they did and completely changed the cars induction capability.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

It is a thought that I've had (I have lots of thoughts!)  - Turner Carbs is the one I've heard of before.

I've enquired as to cost and timescales - and will probably follow it up with a phone call. for the options.

I still might swap the carbs - nothing to lose as I know my original ones work with a couple of limitations and it would at least "prove" there is nothing wrong with the engine!

Hello Mark.

On a personal note, I have had dealings with Turner Carbs and can say that I was less than impressed; in fact that is why I had to go to Gower & Lee in the end.

There are plenty of decent refurb companies out there, so worth making those enquiries.

4 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I still might swap the carbs - nothing to lose as I know my original ones work with a couple of limitations and it would at least "prove" there is nothing wrong with the engine!

To be pedantic, if your carbs have a couple of limitations - can you really be certain that they will be 100% effective in proving what you are seeking to ascertain ??

Regards.

Richard.

Well that is very true. The main limitation is the choke sticking other than that they have been ok - but I accept that it is still an unknown to a degree. 

And good to hear real world reviews. On that basis I shall not bother with turners. Either way it’s case of posting them to the refurbisher so it’s neither here nor there the location! 

Got a quote back from Gower and Lee today - not cheap by any means - £375 plus vat and delivery on an exchange basis - or rebuild mine for the same cost but wait 10weeks.

Anyone else I should look at before making a decision? Which I still don't know what it will be!