2 litre 'Herald' on eBay

Colin Lindsay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222824355755?ul_noapp=true

It's a Tristan convertible, but I'm still trying to work out if it's a Vitesse with a Herald front end, or a Herald that has been converted to 2 litre; in which case he doesn't say much about how it's been done. 

I know if it was mine I'd put some glass over the front sidelight units...

Hi

Something about it doesn't look right?. Has someone taken the roof off a Saloon?. I know it was done, I actually looked at doing it in the 80`s with my wife`s Vitesse. The seats I think are Dolomite (with headrests) and the rear seat is somehow wrong?. You cannot see if the Brakes have been uprated? arn`t vitesse brakes bigger somehow?

6 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Hi

Something about it doesn't look right?. Has someone taken the roof off a Saloon?. I know it was done, I actually looked at doing it in the 80`s with my wife`s Vitesse. The seats I think are Dolomite (with headrests) and the rear seat is somehow wrong?. You cannot see if the Brakes have been uprated? arn`t vitesse brakes bigger somehow?

Tristan did a kit yonks ago, unbolt saloon roof, fit T bar and funny hood arrangement.

Seats intriguing(not really!) but I thought all the dolly family seats in vinyl were non-headrest? And yes, bigger brakes on a 2litre vitesse (1600 just had bigger drums, whear as my 2.5 vitesse had big front brakes and herald rears but larger wheel cylinders, and they could lock up OK.) 

Hi

Could be right about some Dolly seats, seem to remember the ones in Wife`s Vittese being with cloth facings?. I would have thought the heavier engine would have needed a front spring change, and benefit from a servo in the braking system, I know early ones did without. But if your upgrading surely you do the brakes as well?.

At 1800 notes (so Far) it`s a Big ask in my view, I suspect almost as much when you get down to it as my 13/60, which came to me with load of Mod`s Inc Unleaded head, and fully reworked, all new, braking system, and a shed load of past paperwork, for well under half of that. And an MOT.

Pete, ones shown are from the 1300 and 1500 Dolomite base models and late Toledo, these were plastic faced. The 1500HL and all 1850/Sprint Dolomite were cloth faced as were the 1500SE models. The base model and SE were the narrow type, these were the same size as the Herald and Vitesse. The 1500HL and 1850/Sprint were wider.

My head hurts after that.

Dave

13 hours ago, clive said:

I reckon herald with a 2 litre. Moot point in some ways,but I would be checking that over carefully. Notably front brakes....

It's got small front overriders, so points to Vitesse... possibly just a Herald 1200 bonnet and front valence - which hasn't got the proper fitting brackets behind the overriders either; plus the Herald boot badge. Is the dashboard pure Vitesse? Check out the radiator mounting, I can see raised mounts for it on the chassis legs, but can't remember if that's correct for the Vitesse or not.

Colin, good point. The 13/60 has the 1600/Mk1 Vitesse chassis with rad brackets. It has the Herald/1600 Vitesse brake pipe layout. It does have the Vitesse front valance i.e. The front section against the rad bends up through 90 deg. The Herald front valance doesn't. The electrics are Herald.  It's a saloon with a Tristan convertible conversion hence the seats look odd. The engine and dash are Mk2 Vitesse. Its made from bits and pieces, but its still on the road.     

Dave 

4 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

Its made from bits and pieces, but its still on the road.     Dave 

Which makes it better than mine! I'm having fun trying to work out what's what and where's where, a sort of Triumphy detective story. It's amazing how many things you look at every day but when it comes to the crunch, you can't remember them at all...

It may have been on pupose! not sure about the engine designed to tick over at1200rpm, and if I would want to rev a std mk3 engine to 7k (without balancing and knowing it was in fine fettle). 

So another bitsa car. My vitesse was one, built to be exactly what I wanted. ie MK1 chassis, 2.5 engine and saloon box, swing spring rear, mk2 interior as a bit comfier. Went like a scolded cat and was my everyday car for 13 years, it was brilliant right up until I took it apart to rebuild it (discovered the metalwork was somewhat worse than expected). But well built bitsas are usually VERY good. Ones built because "that part fits" usually less so....