TRIUMPH 2500 "MG" ENGINE SPITFIRE/GT6/VITESSE/KIT CAR

Paul H

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

These engines came in MkII Pi Saloonsand Estates.  Nothing special, just a bit more power than a 2L, less than a TR6, but tunable.

I don't now how mnay were produced. they're probably  a bit arre these days.

John

Hi John - if the engine is not "special" then the price is moving up for engines that need restoring 

Paul 

Not at all, that's a good price for a 2.5 these days.   2L a lot less.  If you weren't after It, I might bid myself!

Any saloon engine needs modifying of the sump, or more likely replacement with a GT6/Vitesse sump, as it was installed 'canted', tilted to one side for a lower bonnet line.  Upright in the GT6/Herald/Vitesse, the sloped sump bottom won't clear the steering rack.     And then, if it's a 2.5, the 2L sump needs some adjusting with a BFH to clear the big ends on 1 & 2.

You also need to use the front engine mounts off the Vitesse engine and the rear engine plate, else the gera box will cant and the stick be in your side all the time!

The view down the oil filler looks like it has the Dreaded Black Gunge, so budget for a complete rebuild, all beraings and seals, possibly a rebore. 

All do-able.

John

The other problem when trying to use the ME/MG back plate on a Vitesse gearbox is not all the bolt holes are in the right position. e.g The starter motor.

Also check the engine mounting point on the block have been tapped out to take the brackets.

Dave 

John, the problem with ME/MG back plate is intended for the Vanguard based gearbox. Hence, apart from the holes for the block not much else lines up with the Vitesse gearbox.

As for the engine mounting - As the front plate has the mounting points, the mounting points on the block were not always tapped by the factory.

Hopefully no rivets! 

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.     The Saloon engine was canted, but the gearbox (obviously) needed to be upright, so the holes on the plate are in a different orientation if the engine was in a saloon or a Vitesse/GT6.  But the holes are identical, and a plate from either will bolt to the block.   I have no idea about Vanguards,  no need to bring it up, because the OP needs to use a GT6/Vitesse 'box  - the saloon one has no separate bellhousing and is longer and wider than the first.   I've seen them fitted to Spitfire chassis - Binman's SuperSix for one - but it's not necessary, even if you go for a 2.5L!

Use the mounts from your old engine OP- it all fits together!

JOhn

• Like 1

John, I having fitted ME/MG engines to Vitesse/GT6 gearbox/bellhousing in the past. As a result I can say the bolt holes on the 2000/2500 saloon back plate do not line up with the Vitesse/GT6 gearbox/bellhousing. They are in different positions. You could drill new holes, but as the starter motor hole does not fully align with the Vitesse gearbox bellhousing there is no point. 

The 2000/2500 is a Vanguard based gearbox. Where as the Vitesse gearbox/bellhousing is based on the Standard 8 gearbox/bellhousing. So there is no reason why they should be interchangeable.

I totally agree the other problem would be a gearbox at an angle, not good. This with the above supports your point about using the Vitesse/GT6 back plate.

The 2000/2500 front plate can be retained. But it is a good idea if you saw off the original Saloon mounting sections.

Been there done it and got 50+ years of the scars!

Dave

• Like 1

Interesting, Dave, since I've fitted 2L/Vitesse/GT6 back plates to 2.5L blocks.  No problem at all, the holes all line up.

But I think we are at cross purposes.    The BLOCK holes are all the same.    The GEARBOX holes are different - of course!

John

• Thanks 1