Vitesse 1600 engine swap

Fadger

I recently purchased a Vitesse 1600 convertible in need of a complete restoration. Upon dismantling the engine and drive train, the engine was found to be unusable due to water sitting on top of the pistons causing severe damage to the cylinders (and most other parts). I need to source another Triumph engine that will fit without any major modifications. As I'm based in Australia I will have very limited options due to availability. The car has a GT6 MK1 gearbox (with a D type overdrive) and a 4:1 diff.......Will an engine out of a Triumph 2000/2500 fit, if so, what else will I need to change/modify?

the 2000 engines are basically the same apart from evolution in heads

you would need to change the sump pan, and front and rear engine plates as the 2000 has mounts on the front ,and the engine sits at an angle so that would upset the gearbox, so both have to come off

you need to check  the 4  threaded holes in the block are tapped to take the Vitesse  engine mounts

if you use your 1600 strombergs you need to replace the heavy diaphragm piston weight  and add a damper spring  along with 2000 needles 

( 1600 didnt have a piston spring)

distributor would also need revision, as would the clutch throw out if you go from  1600 coil cover to 2000 diaphragm cover  ,needs a  longer throwout .

First, don't throw your engine away just yet. At the very least, you will need some of the bits.

If you already have a GT6 gearbox fitted, then the engine from a 2000 saloon can be fitted very easily. If it's a Mk1 you can use your existing manifolds...

Bah! Pete has beaten me to it. I'd only add that you probably want to keep your existing flywheel as the saloon one is a bit too thick.

your 1600 will be the same porting as a Mk1 2ltr ie has pushrod tubes , the later MK2  does not the rods are intergral in the head 

and porting is very different ,  so manifolds on a 1600 or mk 1 are similar  all inline 0000000000

later mk2 very different,  inlet /exhaust all off set  0oo00oo0oo0

and you cant use any  saloon 2000 manifold as this is angled to suit the tilt of the engine, 

Pete

Just filling in the gap that Pete left for me... if you fit a Mk2 engine you will need Vitesse/GT6 Mk2 manifolds. I think the Mk1/Mk2 carbs are the same in most markets (Mk3 GT6 got emission control ones). The exhaust manifold may be the same on the saloon but the inlet is no good for you.

Triumph 2000 Saloon engine can be used if you transfer over the front plate, back plate and sump from the Vitesse. Also insure you tap out the engine mount holes on the side of the block. You should use the 2000 flywheel, clutch, carbs and manifolds. If the engine is off a MK2 2000 the you need the larger pipe Vitesse Mk2 exhaust setup. If a Mk1 2000 then use you existing Vitesse exhaust manifold and exhaust system. If you have the four dial dash then you will need to retain the Vitesse Dizzy to drive the Taco. 

Dave

Just a quick thought - with the two litre engine and GT6 gearbox, even with overdrive you may find the 4.1 diff ratio a little short. I think the 2L Vitesse had a 3.89 ratio diff, as did the GT6 with overdrive (the latter 3.27 without OD). You'll certainly be quick off the mark if you don't change it, but it may become quite frantic as a cruising car!

Gully

Hi, I have a mk2 Vitesse with overdrive and 3.89 diff . With od it makes for comfortable cruising , my speedo is probably not accurate though at 3000 revs the speedo reads a tad under 60 mph 

hope this helps

Paul

Yes the 4.11:1 is best replaced with a 3.89 or better a  3.63 :1  avoid 3.27  

You already have  4 synchro gearbox  lower the diff ratio will tramsform the car at cruising , and the 4.11 may have the small output shafts

and the 2ltr torque could  shear them  

Pete

My GT6 had a 4.11 diff for many years. It wasn't terrible but it's a lot nicer now it has a 3.63

The Vitesse also has a 3.63, as did my first Vitesse once I'd broken the 3.89 (high mileage, the cage shattered). It's a nice ratio for that.

The Spitfire, although a Mk3, has a 1500 engine, so it's got a 3.63 diff because that's the factory spec ;)

and if the 3.63 has a 4 hole stud fixing for a swing spring its easy to drill 8.3mm and tap 3/8" x24 unf  to  turn it into a 6 hole.

or you can swap the rear casings over 

having had a nightmare with a swinger on a vitesse myself i wouldnt go that route 

Pete