Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Im sorry I forgot about the backplate which of course would have to be removed to get to the rear seal housing. Yours is a lip seal but does look dry as if leaking I would expect to see oil on the housing (those two small holes in it are used to push the seal out from the other side of the housing once its removed). Maybe its not worth continuing as you have enough on your plate as it is....

• Like 1

Just now, johny said:

Im sorry I forgot about the backplate which of course would have to be removed to get to the rear seal housing. Yours is a lip seal but does look dry as if leaking I would expect to see oil on the housing (those two small holes in it are used to push the seal out from the other side of the housing once its removed). Maybe its not worth continuing as you have enough on your plate as it is....

I did give it a wipe before taking the picture. 

1 minute ago, KevinR said:

Looks OK to me - even if it was wiped before  the photo.

When retightening the flywheel, make sure the bolts are done up f**kin tight, you really don't want them working loose at a later date.

Understood!

3 minutes ago, johny said:

ah do you think it has a problem then? However every Triumph gearbox Ive seen does always have a good covering of oil over the inside of the bell housing....

Most of which comes out of the gearbox rather than the engine... you hope! The scroll oil seal in the bellhousing ain't much use when the engine stops.

1 minute ago, KevinR said:

When retightening the flywheel, make sure the bolts are done up f**kin tight, you really don't want them working loose at a later date.

I  thought a firkin was a measurement - does that mean 'as tight as nine gallons'? :)

as its only a unsupported single row ball race that movement is very normal once its in the flywheel spigot brg  its all held in line with  no wiggles 

try not to stand the box  up ended on its clutch hsg or any  old debris in the bottom sinks into the input bearing  makes  it   Grrrrr  noisy

Pete

• Like 1

fairy dust is now  a parts order  I leave Paula to fill in the pictures 

but 3rd gear circlip adrift and spigot mullered  , bottomed out baulk rings  its a wonder it worked at all, 

so its await a new mainshaft before rebuild 

we drank tea and Paula's nice biscuits but that didnt help 

Pete

it the remains of the  tip bearing  the 3 sync box has a smaller one than the 4 sync box no needles found so far and none evident .

the 3rd gear circlip is well used and spread , so we have a fully floating mainshaft !!!   with 10mm of gear endfloat 

interesting 

i have later needle cages but not a 3 sync one , but it needs a new mainshaft .on order 

you could use  later stem gear and later needle cage but thats a step too far right now .

a new shaft and bearing will give it a good life for a few years 

Pete