Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

just cleaned (use that work reservedly )  50 yeeers of guuunge from the OD filter magnets     I need biscuits 

new mainshaft if they have packed the right one could be any time today ,  its on UPS  ......Ultimate Parts  Slowly 

flywheel bolts 42 -46lbft   no washers , no tabs  so add as said some loctite 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

just cleaned (use that work reservedly )  50 yeeers of guuunge from the OD filter magnets     I need biscuits 

new mainshaft if they have packed the right one could be any time today ,  its on UPS  ......Ultimate Parts  Slowly 

flywheel bolts 42 -46lbft   no washers , no tabs  so add as said some loctite 

Pete

Is that why it took 30 seconds for the OD to kick in?

Fancy biscuits on shopping list along with Loctite!

maybe not , will check the solenoid setting , shaft is underway 

paused for a cuppa

had to make a 3 syn dummy layshaft and drop the cluster which wont refit now it has a bearing inside the input shaft  the one i used is 4 synchro and its 10mm too long 

silly small evovolution as the years go by 

of all my baulk rings i only have 1 unused so will select the best of your 3 well 2 as one is def stuffed ( the bag full are wrong diameter ) 

no probs  all ok

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

maybe not , will check the solenoid setting , shaft is underway 

paused for a cuppa

had to make a 3 syn dummy layshaft and drop the cluster which wont refit now it has a bearing inside the input shaft  the one i used is 4 synchro and its 10mm too long 

silly small evovolution as the years go by 

of all my baulk rings i only have 1 unused so will select the best of your 3 well 2 as one is def stuffed ( the bag full are wrong diameter ) 

no probs  all ok

Blimey!

I've taken advantage of the space and fitted a new lower dash panel. I'm very happy with the results.

Much easier without the gearbox.

Hope it doesn't get in the way too much when i fit the box again.

I've also ordered a parts cleaner because Pete had one . 😂😂😂😂

7D5CA8C7-DF36-4BBE-9AC7-E5FD9772464C.jpeg

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 19.19.14.png

• Like 1

Paula , for a cleaner get some Jizzer/gunk  or similar  degreases well and wash off with water  good for engine washing and all general degreasing 

the environ friendly stuff that came with mine is useless a water diluted concentrate ,   

you box is a HB orig for the 1600  its obviously been rebuilt by someone who liked to leave bits off, i wonder where the spigot needles disapeared to 

and finding the layshaft cluster needle spacers missing says it all,  and apart from mick dolphin they are rocking horse pooh 

the spare cluster has solved that conundrum  if anyone has a set of 119891/2  would useful , all crash boxes have them (not this one ) 

if this doesnt work in going to emigrate 

Pete

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That's quite a view; how I wish I had so much room when working on the GT6. Very interesting accelerator mechanism; almost like mine but mine is straight and goes behind the pedals. 

So much easier with the seats and gearbox out

yes its used a lot   just not available only found with mick dolphin   and no sign of 118992 which is used to locate the thrust steel  shim     

anyway spare cluster has them but it was a rebored  canley fix of some years ago  and the spacers are pressed in   place 

pete

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

you box is a HB orig for the 1600  its obviously been rebuilt by someone who liked to leave bits off, i wonder where the spigot needles disapeared to 

and finding the layshaft cluster needle spacers missing says it all,  and apart from mick dolphin they are rocking horse pooh 

the spare cluster has solved that conundrum  if anyone has a set of 119891/2  would useful , all crash boxes have them (not this one ) 

if this doesnt work in going to emigrate 

Pete

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-NOS-Layshaft-Retaining-Rings-Triumph-Spitfire-TR7-GT6-Vitesse-MG-Midget-1500/293472986563?hash=item44545a65c3:g:YHwAAOSw3mReObOF

Over the pond and the postage is as much as the purchase cost, but if anyone really needs a set...

yes, Colin    i said i had seen a usa listing  mick dolphin (bless him) has the 891  but the 892 is a special one with a couple of slots to hold a early shim thrust in place 

I may well order some from mick for any future needs 

if they were not missing or fractured in the first place you never need them as a replacement 

not a happy bunny but the replacement cluster with fixed spacer rings is in and its getting button up right now 

the later layshaft spindle fits fine but the overall cluster on 4 sync is about 10mm longer than the 3 sync, 

didnt remember that till the dummy shaft was to long ,but found me old one 

Pete