Alternator stopped working ? Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Hi recently changed from a Lucas C40L Dynamo to a Dynamator   Initially I had issues which are documented here  and it turned out the Dynamator only started charging at close to 1800 revs because the pulley needs to be smaller ( still needs to be done ) 

Took the car for a run today and noticed the voltmeter is reading under 12v and even at 3200 revs no change - Prior to this the voltmeter was reading 13.5v ish at these revs and everything has been fine for our recent 1400 mile Irish trip 

Checking the battery with a multimeter there is no increase in voltage when raising the revs to 2000

How can I check if the alternator is generating any volts - My logic was to remove the positive output connector and replace with the positive on the multimeter  with the negative going to earth - Is this logic correct or is there a correct way to test output 

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

as youre not getting 13.5 or more volts i think its safe to say its not working

you get  12v battery voltage on your meter until the dynamator cuts in then should get an instant rise to the 13.5/14.5 charging voltage

never mind the revs problem at 2000 it should have cut in .

the whole 'upgrade ' seems to have been hard work and now failed .

i dont have any experience of these units  but if you google  dynamator problems  there is a scattering of good and troublesome 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

as youre not getting 13.5 or more volts i think its safe to say its not working

you get  12v battery voltage on your meter until the dynamator cuts in then should get an instant rise to the 13.5/14.5 charging voltage

never mind the revs problem at 2000 it should have cut in .

the whole 'upgrade ' seems to have been hard work and now failed .

i dont have any experience of these units  but if you google  dynamator problems  there is a scattering of good and troublesome 

Pete

Thanks Pete , I’ll contact accuspark tomorrow and check my options. I can revert to dynamo and probably will do in the short term . Assuming I ditch the accuspark and replace with an alternator what amps is best , the accuspark is 45 amps . Is there a bracket which will fit the alternator my memory says Triumph 2000 ?

Paul 

5 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Fitted Alternator to my Mk1 Vitesse 2L using the alternator bracket from a Triumph 4 cylinder iron engine i.e. Spitfire, Toledo or Dolomite 1500.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, is the bracket I need https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR2-TR3-TR4-DYNAMO-GENERATOR-BRACKET-NEW-MORGAN-4-58912-/232453446802

Paul 

I fitted a 75 ampmlucas to the Vit6 used the original dynamo bracket  with some shortening of the boss to align the belt

And  a spacer to make up formthe  the shorter length.

The tail mount must be allowed to slide on its bolt sleeve to allow for expansion, or the mounting lug will fracture quickly.

Pete

My Vitesse has a Lucas alternator fitted with the bracket from a Mk4 Spitfire or similar. The eBay link above is for a dynamo.

As Paul says, the one you need is 147899, available from several places, including Canley's. You'll also need a long bolt (HB839), spacer tube (147483) and the shorter adjuster (156464). It is possible to run with the longer adjuster for a dynamo but it's not properly aligned and requires a different fan belt.

Thanks for all the info - my plan is as follows

1) Replace Dynamator in the short term with original working dynamo C40L as I want to use my Vitesse - The dynamo is ok + RB340 regulator is still in place + all the connecting wires still have original spades. The main 3 cables being connected by a home made copper shunt - foresight or what !!!!!

The remaining 2 wires are connected by using spades , lastly the earth is taped up so refitting shouldnt take too long 

shunt1.jpg.58e0862d9a0ccc5c4d18b1a9b43d7020.jpg

My logic being that assuming the dynamo works, the cabling is ok and confirmation the Dynamator is at fault 

2) Contact Accuspark re Dynamator which is out of warranty as purchased at Stoneleigh last year and only just fitted - I will advise how this conversation goes 

3) If Accuspark solution doesnt pan out I will replace with standard Alternator + source relevant brackets 

Thanks again 

Paul 

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE 

Contacted Accuspark by Email - Reply together with apology took 8 days . Guarantee is for 1 yr and 2 year limited guarantee - Mine was out of 1 yr warranty 

I sent the Dynamator back at my cost and received a new one within 3 days . 

Paul