Distributor questions

Danwedges

• I thought the first 2   (idle) sections Diameters on the needles were always the same they onlny change profile after section 2

If its rich at idle then then settings cant be quite right 

Are there any brass tag numbers to identify just what they were for? Originally 

Pete

If the needles start with B there are 1.75" carbs. There can be problems getting 1/75" carbs to run on the 2 Litre engine when using the GT6 inlet manifold, K&N filters and Mk 1 or 2 cam. Though BAE needles and green springs normally work, I have used them in the past but no with K&N air filters.

The factory fitted them on the last of the 2000 saloons, but used a long branch inlet manifold, very restrictive air cleaners and cam with reduced overlap. The standard long branch manifold has an upward angle, points up, and will not fit under the GT6 bonnet.

If you are happy the tappets are not to tight and the fuel pump is OK then I agree a rolling road would be the answer. They should be able to tailor the existing needles to suit.  

Other than that - Try small rams inside the K&N filters or Get a pair of more restrictive air filters or Fit Stromberg 150CDS carbs and a Smiths emission valve as per the Mk2 GT6.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update as I finally found time to have a play with the car and I've managed to get it to pull smoothly through the revs using bae needles, green springs, stub stacks inside the k&n pancake filters and blocked the top half of the filters using gaffer tape now the car will pull smoothly right through the rev range and seems to be using a little less fuel too .

I am still interested in replacing my distributor for one with a vacuum advance in hope of improving fuel economy slightly more but I'm struggling to find one with the little adjuster on as Well as the vacuum advance  my current is a lucas distributor running points and condenser with no vac advance, a little adjuster for timing and a tacho drive 

I can find delco type electronic or points distributors with the tacho drive but not lucas?