Repare or replace fuel pump

Andrew

Hello out there.

Herald 13/60.  Ok my fuel pump is leaking round the top gasget and the diaphragm gasgit. I have purchased a gasket kit, can I fit the new gadgets with the petrol  pump in place or do I have to remove it.  Second question.  It it altogether easier to buy a new complete pump.  Thoughts and recommendations please

thanks 

Andrew

Not sure which pump you have but my glass dome one started to leak around the top seal. It's easy enough to strip down and replace the seals with a kit plus a smear of an appropriate sealant helps seat everything 

Removing the pump is the best way.

Replacement us a last resort to me

Aidan

Kits can  work well   ifnits leaking have you nipped up all the screws   ???

There can be problems matching the plethera of pumps with a kit that fits ,study any pictures .

Best off car as you need to compress the pump spring to locate the diaphragm in the cam lever

Not easy if still on the car  and off car you can operate and check its sucking ok.

Pete

The replacement pumps are much smaller and more powerful than the original pump and the inlet , outlet pipes are not always in the same position - 

Looking at my original pump its quarter to 3 for outlet & inlet  the new version being quarter to 5 for outlet and inlet , the filters are plastic so should be ethanol proof   ?????

Paul 

I replaced the diaphragm on my pump without removing the body from the block - simple enough job. I chose not to replace the valves as they were fine.

The diaphragm unlatches by pushing down and turning 90 degrees. Reinstallation is the reverse, then align with the nearest screw holes (6 of them IIRC). Keep checking the diaphragm moves within the pump body without catching as you tighten the screws by activating it with the priming lever.

I did buy a new pump just in case, but have heard too many stories about output pressures being too high and springs being too strong and damaging the lobe of the activating cam, so didn't use it.

Gully