Triumph spitfire MkIV

Liam O’Neil

Good afternoon

ive recently bought a triumph spitfire mkIV with what I thought was a 1.3 dolomite engine with overdrive and SU carbs. On further research the engine block Identification number is DG which is a Toledo engine , i ve done a little research on the topic and a lot of forums say the Toledo, Dolomite and spitfire engines are very similar. The question is if I was to buy engine parts for a spitfire engine as they’re easier to come by would they fit? 

Thanks for any help 

liam 

there are small evolutions but in general its all the same ,    depends on the evolution but i would say the only thing that would cause any mix up would be 

things like recessed bores  ( head gasket would have a rectangular tab sticks out the back face of the head   and valve diameters as some mkIV had larger inlet valves ( decided by engine number ) but that wont happen as you have  DG  places like canley classics will show what models a particular part number will be used on for a good guide to see FH   are compatible on D G

Pete

Hi Liam,

Welcome to the forum.

As your research showed, the MkIV Spitfire, Toledo and Dolomite 1300 engines are all very similar. The saloons used a different sump - fully interchangeable on the engine but completely incompatible with the chassis, so you'll have the sump of a Spitfire engine. The camshaft profile is different. The valve sizes may be different. Everything else - bearings, timing gear, water pump, flywheel, clutch - is the same (well, the Dolomite clutch is different because the gearbox was different, but the Toledo gearbox was the same as a MkIV Spitfire).

As Pete says, the age of the engine is more significant. If yours is a Toledo one, it is roughly the same age as the car so you're good.

Ok so nothing much to worry about really, a standard MKIV service kit should fit my current engine, when it comes to engine rebuilds will I need to source individual items depending on the actual engine since some parts may vary. Sorry I’m new too all of this, it’s my first classic car, engine at the moment is currently running like a dream but you don’t know how long that’s going to last for. 

Thanks again for your reply.

You really need to look at each component rather than simply say that it is all a Toledo engine, as it could well be a Toledo block with a spitfire cylinder head etc as most parts are interchangeable and after 40 years all sorts of changes are possible.

32 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Dolomite engine also had a different flywheel and starter - which is pre-engaged and rare. I had a dolly engine in my Spitfire and replaced the starter with a modern one - but they had to change the pinion as it didn’t fit! 

The 1500 Dolomite as a pre-engaged starter. Whereas the 1500 Spit has the older Bendix type. Hence the starter ring is different.

However, both the 1300 Mk IV Spit and all Toledo's have the same type of starter, Bendix type, and starter ring. 

In Oct 1972 the Toledo DH engine was introduced, this had a different cam and larger inlet valves. All to reduce emissions. This engine went on to be fitted to the 1300 Dolomite which does cause some confusion. 

DG is a Toledo engine it was never fitted to the Dolomite. The DG engine is basically the same as the late 13/60 Herald GK engine.

Dave

57 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

The 1500 Dolomite as a pre-engaged starter. Whereas the 1500 Spit has the older Bendix type. Hence the starter ring is different

Yes sorry you are correct - my mistake - my old engine was a dolly engine - 1300 serial number but 1500 capacity (based on the length of stroke when I poked a bit of wire down it ages ago!) - but had the flywheel off a 1500 and pre-engaged starter!

• Like 1

No Probs. Triumph small cars from 1965 to 1980 got very confusing as bits from previous models morphed, sometimes modified,  to the next model when it was all based on the original 1300 FWD car. Then some of the modified parts were used in the TR7.

Dave