Electric Fuel pump

Paul H

Richard

When I first fitted the Huco pump, I kept the  mechanical one in place with the delivery pipework (just in case), but have now removed it and blanked the mounting onto the block.

The mechanical pump did make a sort of chuffing sound as it was trying to pump air...poor thing! 

I could always carry it as a spare part, but probably won't as I think the Huco is good bit of kit.

Ian F

• Thanks 1

Hello Ian,

I agree, cruelty to mechanical fuel pumps is just not on !!

Prior to the Webcon unit I seriously considered the Huco option but ended up going with the former, personal choice rather than anything negative concerning Huco.

My understanding is that the Huco pumps were made in Germany but now in the USA I beleive - any type of German engineering is good in my book.

Regards.

Richard.

2 hours ago, Ian Foster said:

Richard

When I first fitted the Huco pump, I kept the  mechanical one in place with the delivery pipework (just in case), but have now removed it and blanked the mounting onto the block.

The mechanical pump did make a sort of chuffing sound as it was trying to pump air...poor thing! 

I could always carry it as a spare part, but probably won't as I think the Huco is good bit of kit.

Ian F

Hi Ian - What type of impact switch did you use ? where did you locate and lastly assumed the Huco needs a relay 

Paul 

I'd be surprised if the Huco needs a relay - neither the Facet nor the cheap Chinese one I've tried did.

On both cars where I've gone electric pump, I've used an impact switch from a Rover 200 - readily available on eBay and elsewhere. The connector it needs is a standard Amp Econoseal, available from MiniSpares, as I recall.

Just trawled eBay for fuel inertial switches and found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Ka-1996-2009-Fuel-Cut-Off-Inertia-Switch-XS7T9341AA/253310059777?epid=1709854545&hash=item3afa74c501:g:mvYAAOSw-09aMPx1  . One of pics shows the spade connectors and guess the middle one is a warning light . I’m assuming this would be suitable ?

Paul 

Would probably be ok.

I've always used the ones fitted by Peugeot, Citroen (easy to spot in the scrap cars). I think Same used used in Freelander and various Hondas.

Get mine from scrapyard direct as much cheaper and I can liberate the matching plug as well.

No relay needed but suggest an inline fuse (10A IIRC)

Nick

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paul,

For an extra few quid, this may be better as it already has the connector

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-25-MG-ZR-99-04-Inertia-fuel-cut-off-switch-Kit-car/183343135408?hash=item2ab01a3ab0:g:~TQAAOSwhclbRGZB

Not sure you really need the warning light, if the switch activates you can be certain you will know about it !!

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks for the link, missed that one - very neat as well . Apart from its intended purpose can be used as thief deterrent assuming they dont know what it is . Purchase made 

Paul