vitesse 1600 engine rebuild

haggis

So hi everyone, had my 1600 for 30 years, got a few minor oil leaks and seems to be burning a reasonable amount of oil,( about 1/4 dipstick level every 100miles) plugs are black, crusty and oily. It runs fantastic apart from oil consumption. Was considering a strip down and rebuild, but availability of parts like pistons, mains etc seems very limited. I’ve looked at Rimmers and Canley but there appears to be only one set of pistons left, just wondering what anyone else has done for parts?  I don’t do a lot of miles in it now I have a Gt6 probably around 1000 a year, but it’s the original engine and I’m keen to keep it. 

Any suggestions for parts suppliers/ manufacturers etc welcome. 

Or I could just leave it and keep topping up the oil. 

Thanks hag 

I have suggested this before with a members car using quite a bit of oil, and that

was to not keep topping up the oil to the top mark, Like my car I find if you let it

go till its about half way between the marks the consumption settles down considerably.

Then just keep the top up to that level.

you can use 1200  herald pistons 

are you sure its piston/bore oil consumption the 1600 is pretty unstressed 

give the breathers a good clean especially the gauze inside the crankcase breather tube mounting 

Pete

and my 1600 had a wrong dipstick high mark, by about a 1ltr overfilled 

Can you get rings? If so a hone may be enough to make a big improvement. Otherwise 1200 pistons, which (if memory is working) give a 75 oversize. 

Stuff does turn up, but can take some searching. The bigger resellers are least likely to be able to help, but ebay or the febuary stoneleigh show are both worth a try, exhausting as it may be. Along with Mick Dolphin, chic doig, and FW Thorntons (or is that just chocolate?)

Thanks everyone for your responses,  I measured the oil with a measuring jug so I know it has the correct amount and that matches the dipstick.

I guess the biggest problem is you don’t know what you need til you strip it down, but if you strip it down and can’t get parts then it could be off the road for a long time. 

Think I’ll start with the head, and start hunting for parts.

Thanks hag 

• 5 months later...

Hi all, picking up from my previous post I’m still looking for piston related parts for a 1600 rebuild, there is a set of +0.20 available in Australia? Does anyone know what the original AE codes for the 1600 should be? 

Thanks

hag 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272647064043