Are front seats handed

Andrew

Hello to all

Can you tell me if the front seats on a Herald 13/60 are handed. The reason I ask because the drivers seat is a bit saggy and fouls the door. So I had a bright idea of swooping the two front seats over, low and behold the passenger seat fouls the drivers door worse then before.  Is there any adjustment on the seats if not how can I stop the seat fowling the door.  Or is a it a case of getting the seat rebuild to stop the sagging.

Regards

Andrew

No ots a case of not using the obvious seat slide mounting /povot points and doing the daft thing whhich was they are not handed other than the slide lever on the base runners  but here is the daft bit you use offset holes in the runner upright and seat base

So the frame sits on top ofnthe runner when down but raises in an arc as the pivots are offset, not in line 

There two holes in each and you dont use the same pairs of holes   have one in front and one reaward

Good istn it 

Pete

I think Pete's answered the question in the title - the seats aren't handed, but the runners / attachment fittings are, so have to be swapped over. And the side on which the seat is being used dictates the set of fixing holes adopted.

Gully

The off set pivot is so the seat clears the A post  when tipped up and it can aid pointing the feet at the pedals ...or not

All I can add about relativity is its relatively easy if you dont apply any common sense when refitting the  pivot bolts 

Its relative mix and match the holes ...or not   you can also alter the seat height just  to aid comfusion

Theres two holes on the runner for height and two holes fore aft on the  seat ,   or was it thebother way round !!!

Pete

I always loved the way they advertised the almost infinite number of front seat positions, just by turning the rubber adjustment blocks... up, down, really up, not quite up, slightly down, all the way down, back a bit, forward a bit, all 300 or so positions.

I'm not a mathematician but if you have four block positions, two front mounting holes and around twelve clicks on the seat slider does that really make 4 x 4 x 2 x 12 positions ie 384 possible variations? It's a bit of a swizz, really....

The GT6 just has two mounting holes so no confusion, but there the seats are definitely handed. 

Seat Fitting

Problems can often be found with seats that have been incorrectly refitted after being removed.  There are some minor variations in detail over the models and period of production but I believe the following should apply to all variations.

Components and terminology:

Seat runners - fitted to the floor, have holes for the adjuster to register in. 

Subframe - runs on runners, includes adjuster lever on one side only.  Has two brackets on the front, each with two holes arranged one ABOVE the other.  On one side the bracket is square and straight, and on the other side the holes are set forward, so the bracket is shaped like a B.

Seat frame - on which seat is built.  Brackets at the front have two holes arranged one BEHIND the other. 

Fitting:

Seat runners should be fitted with holes to the rear,  fixed with 5/16" UNF bolts, and with 1/2" spacers (thick washers) under each bolt.  Captive nut on turret at the rear is FQ3406 (should be available from the usual suspects).

The sub-frames are handed: you should have a pair.  They should be fitted so that the adjuster lever and catch is nearest the transmission tunnel.  This adjuster should mate with the holes in the seat runner (but won't if the seat runner has been fitted back to front).  This ensures that the holes on the bracket on the door side are a smidgen further forward than the transmission tunnel side, i.e. the B shaped bracket is nearest the door.

Choose between the high and the low hole on the seat sub-frame.  This adjusts rake and/or height (with blocks).  Use the foremost hole on the seat frame bracket for the door side (ie the side where the sub-frame holes are further forward) and the rearmost hole on the seat frame bracket on the tunnel side.  This means that the seat sits square on the sub-frame.  The fact that the pivot point is slightly angled, means that when the seat is tipped forward, the top moves inwards and does not hit the A post/windscreen surround. 

• Like 1