Which Delco distributor is in the TR7 2.0 litre?

Colin Lindsay

All I know so far is that it's a Delco, and every mention of it in a Bing search seems to go along the lines of "I removed the original Delco and fitted $40000 of electronic upgrades", (particularly on the USA forums) yet nowhere can I find what model it actually is! Can someone give me a model number?

I'll have a look in the morning. My Toledo has a TR7 engine.

The distributor is a hateful design, weights on top of the points! And getting the bolts loose to adjust timing is bad enough in the Toledo, I think the TR7 is very awkward. Good luck!

To reduce the need to access the points etc I fitted electronic ignition. 

Hello Colin,

Not sure if the following information may assist ??

Euro spec Delco dizzy for TR7 2Ltr and 1850 Dolomite is Model D302 / Part Number RKC66R.

Regards.

Richard.

Saved me a job! The distributor is used on some Saab's. I bought a brand new Saab version as mine was poorly ( mech advance was very wirn, the actual mechanism so only getting a few degrees of advance) 

The Saab had very different advance characteristics, so I built the weights up to exactly match the tr7 size, and got a few springs which I kept swapping until I got an advance curve that closely matched the book spec. The terrible design meant spring swapping was very easy, much easier than points/condenser change.

• Like 1

The UK and Europe Dizzy is TKC0066 Delco D302 No 7992715. There were four electronic types. Two were Delco the other two Lucas. These were fitted to later US cars. The electronics had a reputation for failure. Electronic types were -

PKC1333 Delco D302 No 9977215. 

RKC3773 Delco D302 No 9977120. 

TKC1204 Lucas 47DE4 No 41601. 

TKC3326 Lucas 47DE4 No 41701.

Their fitting had more to do with meeting the tighter fuel emissions regs than any other reason. Very late California TR7 had fuel injection and electronic management for the same reason.

I agree with Clive, setting the points is a pig. I kept the points but used a homebrew electronic amplified set-up to reduced the current through the points. Hence reducing the point contact wear. The points shoe wear is very small.

Dave

18 hours ago, clive said:

I'll have a look in the morning. My Toledo has a TR7 engine.

The distributor is a hateful design, weights on top of the points! And getting the bolts loose to adjust timing is bad enough in the Toledo, I think the TR7 is very awkward. Good luck!

To reduce the need to access the points etc I fitted electronic ignition. 

Thanks guys - after so many years in the Herald and GT6 family this is new to me so a refreshing period of headscratching and research!

Clive - what electronic ignition did you use? This is why I was trying to identify the distributor model, to see what's available. Something along the lines of the red SimonBBC kits would be great, if available.

Hello Colin,

SimonBBC runs as Powerspark which you probably know.

This is their Delco 4 cylinder range: https://simonbbc.com/distributors/distributors-by-make/delco-type/4-cyl/

I have used his electronic conversion kit in the Vitesse and a fully converted dizzy in the Alpine (both Lucas) - have to say all excellent to date with no issues. I'm confident that the Delco units will be the same.

Regards.

Richard.

Colin, The problem with the TR7 Delco distributor when fitting an electronic ignition is the advance weight assembly prevents you from fitting the magnetic lobe ring. The only way is to drive out the pin from the base of the drive cog. Then pull out the shaft from the body. Fit the magnetic ring and re-assemble the shaft into the body. One of my local area did it without any problems. We have four TR7's in the Newbury area. Good for swapping notes!

Aldon did sell an electronic ignition unit without the ring which just sensed the lobes, it's now out of production. There was another make were the ring came in two half's and bolted together around the lobes, again out of production.

If I remember the Saab and 1850 Dolomite distributors didn't have the advance assemble at the top. Therefore as per Herald just fit the ring. The 1850 probably has the nearest advance curves.

OR as Richard has fedback, fit a already converted unit.

Dave

With the work required, that Dave has flagged, I'd probably go for the fully converted dizzy for less than £100. In addition you will of course get a unit that has no wear issues, something you may get with a second hand unit.

10 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

If I remember the Saab and 1850 Dolomite distributors didn't have the advance assemble at the top.

It's a while since I owned an 1850 but I'm fairly sure it had a wacky distributor with points below the advance mechanism.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, classiclife said:

With the work required, that Dave has flagged, I'd probably go for the fully converted dizzy for less than £100. In addition you will of course get a unit that has no wear issues, something you may get with a second hand unit.

That's eminently sensible. I'm getting lazy in my old age and like the simpler option!

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm getting lazy in my old age and like the simpler option!

Is it lazy or wiser through age, Colin ☺️ ?? !!

Regards.

Richard.

Richard - I spent two hours on Thursday evening, and six hours yesterday, trying to remove front brake discs from a Freelander. Everything was rusted solid and one side had to be cut off with an angle grinder. It's still not finished as the securing screw is rusted solid in the hub and I ran out of drill bits. I gave up before even trying the other side! I realised the hubs are £36 each so if I'd just bought two hubs, fitted those then new brake discs and pads, I'd be £70-odd worse off but would have saved hours of frustration, cuts bruises and an aching back trying to separate rusted hubs from rusted discs. Tuesday next, it's off to the local garage to become my mate Dave's problem.

Think I want to do the same with a distributor when I can just pay £94? :)

(Just need to determine the exact model of dizzy from his selection.)

13 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Think I want to do the same with a distributor when I can just pay £94? :)

(Just need to determine the exact model of dizzy from his selection.)

Colin,

Powerspark have an excellent tech department, so will be able to answer your enquiry; I pitched them a bouncer earlier in the week and was impressed by their response.

On an aside and worthy of note, Distributor Doctor only deals with Lucas units - which I did not realise until contacting Martin Jay about a Bosch dizzy.

Well done (so far) on the Freelander job, that's a nightmare experience and yes the new hub option has got to be the way forward.

Best wishes.

Richard.

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Thanks guys - after so many years in the Herald and GT6 family this is new to me so a refreshing period of headscratching and research!

Clive - what electronic ignition did you use? This is why I was trying to identify the distributor model, to see what's available. Something along the lines of the red SimonBBC kits would be great, if available.

From my iffy memory it was a "stealth" unit. As in brand, not hard to see.

It has been reliable for the past 2-3 years since fitted. Regular use car, including the last RBRR and hopefully this one too (if I can get the replacement head fitted soon!)

15 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Colin,

SimonBBC runs as Powerspark which you probably know.

This is their Delco 4 cylinder range: https://simonbbc.com/distributors/distributors-by-make/delco-type/4-cyl/

I have used his electronic conversion kit in the Vitesse and a fully converted dizzy in the Alpine (both Lucas) - have to say all excellent to date with no issues. I'm confident that the Delco units will be the same.

Regards.

Richard.

Sadly none of those are anything like the TR7 distributor (which is the same as dolly 1850, ad the saab as I have a saab one here been butchered for unworn parts.....but the sprint uses a specifice version of lucas D45 but with very different advance characteristics. You could correct that with altering the advance weights and playing with springs)

This is the TR7 one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR7-RECON-DELCO-DISTRIBUTOR-Vauxhall-Viva-D302-DOLOMITE-1850/292691132323?hash=item4425c03fa3:g:jNYAAOSwI-BWF5de

Re the electronic module, this is what I fitted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AccuSpark-Stealth-Electronic-ignition-kit-for-Triumph-TR7-models-for-Delco/112652652022?hash=item1a3a9f0df6:g:czYAAOSwonBaFbIC

and yes, distributor out and take apart. The taking apart is easy, getting out???

The 1850 dizzy has the same construction, apart from the drive, as the GT6 Delco and therefore its easy to fit the electronic set-up.  

It's the TR7 dizzy that has the top hat (with the weights in) which prevents the fitting of the magnetic lobe ring from the top.  As said you have to remove the shaft from the body and fit it from the bottom up. Pain!

I agree if you can get a recon electronic dizzy it's the best way to go. Less pain!

Dave

42 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

As said you have to remove the shaft from the body and fit it from the bottom up. Pain!

are we on the right forum ..........worried of luton 

well its raining again ...tomorrows looking good   suppose to be at the bucks railway  pre78 rally and free steam rides 

Pete

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

The 1850 dizzy has the same construction, apart from the drive, as the GT6 Delco and therefore its easy to fit the electronic set-up.  

It's the TR7 dizzy that has the top hat (with the weights in) which prevents the fitting of the magnetic lobe ring from the top.  As said you have to remove the shaft from the body and fit it from the bottom up. Pain!

I agree if you can get a recon electronic dizzy it's the best way to go. Less pain!

Dave

I am sorry, but the 1850 dizzy is the same as the TR7. In fact the two engines are essentially identical (cam etc) apart from bore size and the head combustion chamber (I have the 2 heads side by side here)

Saying that, it is a D302, it is stamped on the body of my TR7 one and indeed the Saab one I have here. Any D302 electronic ignition kit MAY fit? But I wouldn't want to say. I would bite the bullet and get the stealth one I linked to above. ANd wat is a few grazed knuckles, whatever happens the dizzy has to come out. I think a special spanner may need to be employed to unbolt it.

It is an oddball distributor for sure. 

• Thanks 1

Clive having owned an 1850 back in the 1980's it had a different dizzy than the TR7. It was a very late car and as it left the factory.

However, having checked the part numbers (1975 parts book) you are correct, so I can only suggest the very late 1850's had a different dizzy. I don't have a late parts book so cannot verify this. There were many changes on this car from the pre 1980 cars. Not usual when they are about to shut down production. 

Many thanks Clive for pointing this out.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clive said:

I think a special spanner may need to be employed to unbolt it.

It is an oddball distributor for sure. 

Oh GAWD not another one. My garage is full of one-off 'special' tools for cars I no longer own.

I'm glad it's proving to be a troublesome subject, and not just me missing the obvious...