My Spitfire 1500

Restoration is probably a bit of a stretch - more a keeping it on the road!

Anyway, I've had a few bit of the paintwork sorted - the passenger side sill had a couple of paint blisters that bothered me as did the little bit of rust on the rear deck due to the clip rusting and finally the metalwork under the master cylinders. Paint is not my thing, so I had an expert do it - who apprenticed on Triumphs and E-types etc

The paint is a non standard (for the Spitfire anyway) Nautilus Blue according to the paperwork I have - a BL colour but not one I believe ever used on the Spitfire.

Don't have any before shots really, but a couple of after ones. 

Couple of things that need to be done still - the bulkhead wants a bit of black on it (PO put some stoneguard or similar on it)

The battery needs to be replaced with the correct one - but no rush as it works - it just means I can't fit the rubber trim to the bonnet as the cables being in the wrong place foul it.

I'm going to replace the master cylinder brackets - they are on order, but not yet arrived, together with the fixing bolts and clevis pins - the clutch one is quite badly worn.

I've got front springs and dampers to replace as well as rear dampers - I'm waiting for the arrival of the spring compressor. Must give Angie a ring in the morning!

I also want to change the dash - my dad has offered to do it and given he is 81 now, sooner rather than later! - and I must sort out what vaneer to use (He has all sorts in stock - not sure what will suit best!) 

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

The battery needs to be replaced with the correct one - but no rush as it works - it just means I can't fit the rubber trim to the bonnet as the cables being in the wrong place foul it.

IMG_0914.jpg

Actually that battery looks like the correct "038" type. The problem is that the clamp is fitted wrongly - it's supposed to fit the front of the battery to hold it back towards the bulkhead. Some people get worried about that because the metal clamp is then "quite close" to the battery terminals, but it is the correct fitment and doesn't cause a problem unless you do something silly.

A lot of people (myself included) do fit the "063" type battery, which is larger (fits the Spitfire battery well snugly), higher capacity and cheaper. It also has the terminals swapped so you need to fit it with them at the back, away from the clamp. However, the standard clamp doesn't quite reach to clamp it properly, so some improvisation is needed.

The clamp is how it was fitted when I got it - I assumed that the posts should be towards the back simply because the cables don't sit right and are over the edge of the "bulkhead" and foul the wing rubber strip (Not fitted to mine on the passenger side!)

This is what I was expecting (I know its not a Spitfire - or at least a 1500!) 

100_8801w.jpg&f=1

But to be fair this looks fine too!

stainlessbatteryclamponherald.JPG&f=1

The red Herald with a white stripe, in your first photo, looks to have an 063 battery fitted with terminals at the back because they're that way round. The second photo has the terminals forward because it's the "correct" 038 type. Note that it doesn't come nearly so close to the front of the bulkhead.

If you move your clamp to look like that second Herald, you'll find the battery moves back by a little over an inch. If you also rotate the cable clamps on the battery posts, so that the cables don't point straight forward, then your problem with catching the bonnet should be sorted.

• Like 1

Hello Mark

I have the 063 type fitted and as said it fits in the battery box and is a bigger capacity and usually cheap as it is a more common battery.

Look for eurocar parts or halfrauds to have a sale or these people are often good

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=063

Roger

On 9/2/2018 at 9:36 PM, NonMember said:

If you move your clamp to look like that second Herald, you'll find the battery moves back by a little over an inch. If you also rotate the cable clamps on the battery posts, so that the cables don't point straight forward, then your problem with catching the bonnet should be sorted.

Rob's right - it's amazing how many owners clamp their battery along the top edge, rather than the lower front lip, which keeps the battery clamp further away from the terminals.

• Like 1