Upgrade to type 14

Gadgetman

From fitting alternative calipers change the mc bore  add a servo   what do you expect to gain

The std with mintexx 1144 will stop, it on a 5p and not lock the wheels with no hassle 

Unless you have a brake dyno its easy to find its all a lot of workmand head scratching and the gain is its a lot worse than before 

Offset the cost against the gain and how many driving miles you need utopia and the dreams turn to  nightmares. 

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Princess calipers are now very rare and can be difficult to obtain spares for. If you wish to upgrade the brakes the 2 Litre front brakes are the best option as it has all been worked out for you by Standard Triumph.

The 2 Litre rear brake slave cylinders are 3/8" The master cylinder is 0.7"

Dave

There does seem to be a degree of mission-creep setting in.

As stated, the standard 2L brakes are really pretty good provided decent pads are fitted. My Vitesse now has somewhere in the region of 135-140bhp and gets used with enthusiasm. Brakes are std 2L apart from DS2500 pads and are fine for all but most extreme (Alpine hooliganism and track days). This will be addressed by spacing the T16 callipers and vented discs. The tears will then be the weakest link.

Nick

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I’m finally just getting round to fitting my type 16’s onto the 1600 vitesse. 

Just to confirm, should the rear slaves be 5/8”  cylinders and the master be 0.7”  ?

ive got most of the other odd  bits just need to buy new verticle links and cylinders. 

Has anyone fitted the canley trunionless Vertical links? After having one snap I’m tempted to but those instead!

54 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

I’m finally just getting round to fitting my type 16’s onto the 1600 vitesse. 

Just to confirm, should the rear slaves be 5/8”  cylinders and the master be 0.7”  ?

Rear brake cylinders - 3/4" are fitted to the Vitesse 2 Litre models and early Mk1 GT6. 5/8" was fitted to the late Mk1 and all Mk2  GT6.

The Master cylinder is 0.7"

Dave

My trunnionless seem to be doing well. Plenty of all-weather use and no maintenance apart from being squirted with WD40 once a year (If I remember) 5 years on the road, so not really long term. 

For longer term reviews check on Caterhams, they have used them for years. But I was "impressed" enough to pay the extra for trunnionless over conventional uprights with trunnions. Though if you have a spitfire/herald it gets expensive as you may well need the calliper brackets, which ARE pricey.

I’m just nervous after I had one break... probably down to previous owner as it had corrosion pits. As I’m changing both to later style to take type 16 caliper brackets it would be the time to upgrade them if it’s worthwhile....

1 minute ago, clive said:

My trunnionless seem to be doing well. Plenty of all-weather use and no maintenance apart from being squirted with WD40 once a year (If I remember) 5 years on the road, so not really long term. 

For longer term reviews check on Caterhams, they have used them for years. But I was "impressed" enough to pay the extra for trunnionless over conventional uprights with trunnions. Though if you have a spitfire/herald it gets expensive as you may well need the calliper brackets, which ARE pricey.

Thanks. I have the brackets already

you need the  2ltr  larger discs .

they will fit the old hubs, i believe the later hubs had bigger bearings , my 1600 certainly had some odd sizes but discs were a direct fit

do clean up the faces with a nice flat file  any runout on the disk is normally started with the hub faces.

Pete