Ongoing Vitesse clutch trouble.

Steve P

Hi Nick,

Originally e-bay but the seller is Larkspeed.

Hello Pete,they supplied it as a kit with a bearing that looks exactly the same as the original,curved face.

One unrelated thing i did notice driving with no tunnel is how much it pinks,must do away with the Vitesse dissy and fit the 123 tune i have.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

All is not well.

Only done about ten miles including getting an MOT done.

There is a noise which sounds like the  bearing is dyng when the clutch is depressed,but only after a few miles driving.Disappears when off the pedal.

Seriously losing my mojo now.

S.

That's very irritating!  Are the anti-spin pins definitely in the carrier?  Mine intermittently makes noises usually just as the pedal is being depressed or released...... It's also now getting short of travel with a 3/4" M/C having started with a 5/8" one about 12,000 miles ago...... and I have no idea what is causing this progressive need for longer travel.....

Nick

The throw out groove the withdrawl  lever pins fit into has a small roll pin to stop the carrier spinning on the nose of the gearbox front cover as this can wear grooves and make a heavy clutch, 

It just butts up against the pins on the withdrawl lever,  can only be seen with the box ..off.

Pic in my laptop to find later 

Pete

Arranged for my local classic friendly garage to remove it,i can`t face laying on the floor of my garage and wrestling the damn thing out again.

I think the bearing is not disengaging completely and spinning all the time causing noises when warmed up if you put your foot on the pedal.

Hopefully will know later this week,i will see if we can try a shorter carrier or change the clutch again.

Steve

It`s the other way Pete,when the car has been driven and warmed up,the noise comes when the clutch is depressed,no noise when off the pedal.

The only reason i think the bearing is spinning all the time is because the pedal is so high,literally a feather touch on the pedal allows gear changes.

No slipping when driven though,that could just be because of the paddle type plate.

Steve

Another update..

The garage removed the box and we fitted another new bearing with a steel saloon carrier which is about 10mm shorter than the Brass Vitesse one.

So far all is good,bite point is about 3/4 up and its nice and light,and no noises as there is plenty of free play for the release bearing.

Lost overdrive on the test but that is probably electrical,going to put some miles on it over the weekend and see.

Hopefully good for SEM.

Steve