SAH Parts catalogue 6 cylinder engines

rulloyd

Hi there

Does anybody have access to an SAH parts catalogue by any chance please.  I am trying to learn more about the 307 profile camshaft I installed 35 years ago - particularly interested to know if this is a medium or high lift cam (I can't remember!).

Many thanks

Rich

This may help? Alec (PIman) hasn't been seen for a while on the CT forum or here, but may still be active on the TRR???

Several posts down the thread:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/12668-sah-cam-valve-clearances/

Otherwise, Moss may be able to help as they bought Triumphtune, who were SAH. And may have old literature in their offices.

I'm fighting my way through the fairly dire print on my 6-cylinder catalogue and it's quite complicated.

For the Mk1 engine they quote the 262 camshaft to obtain a stage 11 upgrade, but for stage 111 they recommend the 307.

For the petrol injection and MK2 engines to stage 11 they recommend the 307 camshaft but for stage 111 they recommend the 357.

The only description I can find states: 307: High lift / fast road cam specifically designed profile for the Mk2 engines which will give good all round performance improvement.

It also states: for a road car the SAH 1920 cam (307) is more suitable, and for late models the 357 cam is the best available.

The lower part of the page has been badly copied so that only half the text is visible, but it states that the cost can be reduced if the 307 cam is used (I believe that is in place of the more expensive 357.)

So is this any help at all?

Colin

7 hours ago, clive said:

This may help? Alec (PIman) hasn't been seen for a while on the CT forum or here, but may still be active on the TRR???

Several posts down the thread:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/12668-sah-cam-valve-clearances/

Otherwise, Moss may be able to help as they bought Triumphtune, who were SAH. And may have old literature in their offices.

Thanks Clive.  I have contacted Alec who replied and promised to get back to me.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm fighting my way through the fairly dire print on my 6-cylinder catalogue and it's quite complicated.

For the Mk1 engine they quote the 262 camshaft to obtain a stage 11 upgrade, but for stage 111 they recommend the 307.

For the petrol injection and MK2 engines to stage 11 they recommend the 307 camshaft but for stage 111 they recommend the 357.

The only description I can find states: 307: High lift / fast road cam specifically designed profile for the Mk2 engines which will give good all round performance improvement.

It also states: for a road car the SAH 1920 cam (307) is more suitable, and for late models the 357 cam is the best available.

The lower part of the page has been badly copied so that only half the text is visible, but it states that the cost can be reduced if the 307 cam is used (I believe that is in place of the more expensive 357.)

So is this any help at all?

Colin

Thanks Colin, thats good to know - and I vaguely remember those words!  I'm actually thinking of replacing the cam for the standard as my boy racing days are past and what I'd really like now is a smooth tickover!  (sad sad..).  If anybody wants to buy an original SAH 307 high lift cam, let me know!  Reconditioning the engine has commenced.

GT6 Mk2.  All I want is smooth at low revs over performance (ideally both of course!).   Looks like the original GT6 Mk2 cam would still be best (25/65)

Interesting thoughts from MUT on the Club Triumph Forum.

https://club.triumph.org.uk/menu/5638/item/603362/view

Cris Witor's camshaft application chart here is useful:

https://www.chriswitor.com/cw_technical/camshaft_applications.pdf

All advice appreciated ?

Original Mk2 GT6 cam (same profile on Mk2 Vitesse and PI saloons up to '73-ish as well as Mk3 Spit) is an excellent all-rounder and not the main limiting factor in the engine.  CW also does a version with a bit more lift on the inlet side that seems highly regarded.

Another possibility would be the Newman PH1 which has slightly shorter timing but more lift.

Nick