Accuspark electronic ignition

pirate

• 2 weeks later...

Re built the carb with service kit not re fitted it yet as now I'm taking the rusty exhaust manifold off to paint in heat resistant graphite colour paint, I remembered that one of the joints was leaking so new gaskets should sort it. The joys of doing one job that leads to many, oh well it all adds to the re build and hopefully a tidy looking trouble free car.

I should add that I used the second hand points distributor on my mates Mini Moke as he has a knackered Accuspark distributor too, It fired up first time.

• 3 months later...

I gave up with the Accuspark and fitted the old points distributor couldn't find my feeler gauges so set the points gap by rack of eye method, It gave a good spark.

earlier in the thread I had fitted new tank to fuel pump cunifer pipe, today made up stainless steel braided fuel pipe with in line fuel filter before the pump. Burrs taken off the cut pipe and blown out with the airline.

On trying to start the car fuel was peeing out of the overflow, put a post on the Sports 6 FB page and Rob came back try checking the float setting. It was indeed a long way out and checking the manual it gave the setting at 18mm put back together and problem cured.

turned the engine over and it didn't seem that petrol was getting through, tried a few different things then in a final attempt put my hand over the carb intake, it coughed and sputtered spat petrol out and on the next attempt fired up for about 6 seconds kept trying it and same each time. Then I could hear the regulator clicking and then smoke pouring out!

Luckily I had a new one on the shelf, the joys of classic cars you just never know what's going to give next! On investigation the contacts were bad, coils rusty and now smoking!

As I was changing it I put my hand on the coil, It was red hot then discovered that was cooked!

Some choice words, you little bast**d you won't beat me! Quick search and pulled out a second hand coil.

took a plug out to check if I had a spark, good bright spark showing.

I fitted a starter solenoid with a button back in the thread which has been a good move, I put my hand over the air intake again and it fired up, worked the throttle linkage and got good revs the engine sounded sweet.

couldnt run it for long as I have no rad fitted yet, but she runs! And I had at last a smile on my chops.

Gpt a way to go yet before it's ready for back on the road will give it a good service before I do.

I have no idea what the starting problem was but fixed a multitude of things along the way!