Dirty carb air valve

Waynebaby

Hi All,

I took off the air filter housing on my GT6, squinted down the intake of the front carb and saw the manky air valve you see in the attached photo. The rear carb is just as dirty. The car is running standard club shop filters in a standard housing with all the necessary gaskets.  I'm guessing that this isn't normal and wonder if I've either got faulty filters (unlikely I think) or the gaskets sealing the filters to the inside walls of the housing are passing. Has anybody else seen this problem?

Wayne

IMG_1412.JPG

Thanks for the replies gents. I'll definitely check that the housing faces are true. The housing I use is second hand and has obviously had a hard life. The filters are practically brand new (just one season of use) and the air pipes go down to the radiator cowl, although judging by the pattern of dirt on the filters I think most air is coming in through the rectangular slot at the bottom of the housing. I don't remember a particularly bad diesel Doug, but since I live on Teesside the air quality is always a bit iffy. They don't call people from Middlesbrough "Smoggies" for nothing!

Wayne 

• Haha 1

doesnt look too bad to me. If there is air leakage the gap would have to be pretty substantial as the filters/housing should never allow much of a negative pressure to be generated unless of course the filters were to get really blocked.

Dont forget that all filters are only rated to stop contamination down to a certain size and below that it passes through. The design is a comprise between the amount of filtration and allowing particles that are small enough to not cause too much damage over the predicted life of the engine....

• Thanks 1

There can be a problem with a gap  between filter faces  and the  air box   a strip of door draft excluder foam  will seal up any air gaps 

Quick check with  the box off and the  bolts and spacers removed the centre bolt should  just  grip the filters between its cas and the face plate  

Pete

• Thanks 1