Fuel hoses under the car?

jondhm

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2019 at 21:05, dougbgt6 said:

Adrian,

(Serious face on) it sounds like you have the same issue as me. Despite the specs saying the pipes are 5/16 some are 7mm, slightly bigger. I boiled and greased the Barricade and got 1/2" on the 7mm. With the hose clamp I think that's enough.

Doug

Guys, job done. Vaseline did the trick. I managed to slide a 4” section onto the centre section and then slide that back on to the chassis-to-tank section. 

I’ve got an issue with the metal clips that can secure both 3/16 & 5/16 tubes. They don’t suit the 3/16 tube! 

• 1 year later...

I finally got round to changing the fuel hose under the car.  I had been putting it off because the idea of lying under the car while petrol dripped down my arm wasn't awfully appealing.  However, the job was much easier than I thought.

My method was to run the tank down as far as I dared.  Then I parked on a slight downward slope and disconnected the fuel hose under the bonnet before the fuel pump.  I quickly pushed on the uncut length of hose supplied by the Club Shop, and fed the other end into a fuel can.  This enabled me to drain the fuel out, and I left the fuel in the can so any debris could settle out.  I had to pour some of the fuel into my 'modern' but left enough in the can to refill the tank to get me to the nearest fuel station.

Then I temporarily reconnected the old fuel hose under the bonnet, moved the car to level ground, jacked up the rear and removed the wheel.  I put my axle stand under the car and pulled off the old fuel hose.  Only a small amount of petrol drained out, so changing the hose was really easy.  I did fit jubilee clips rather than relying on a push fit.

I recommend you do this job outside if you can, just in case you spill any fuel and need good ventilation.