Fuel hoses under the car?

jondhm

BW,

My brother has just done this on his Spitfire,  he has a toggle switch and relay operating the valve. The toggle switch is on the dash, it has a tiny blue LED on the end, very cool but not very secure. But I suppose if the tea leaf doesn't know what the switch is for, it's OK. Unless your brother's already told everybody. :lol:

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. That is a good article. I wasn't aware  that the suck bores (tank to pump) were larger than pump to carb bores. He sited GT6, though wondering if that is same for Vitesse?.

Just wondering the reason for this (larger bore needed to deliver enough fuel as a longer run from tank to pump)?.

I just bought a metre of the smaller 1/4", thinking this would do the whole run!.

Cheers, Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

I don't know about Mk2 Vitesse but I think the Mk1 had 1/4" bore all the way. The Mk3 Spitfire certainly did.

The larger bore from tank to pump is done for the same reason inlet valves are bigger then exhaust valves. Whether pushing or "sucking", the real physics is that the fluid is passing through a restriction under the influence of a pressure difference. On the inlet / tank-to-pump side, the higher pressure is only atmospheric at maximum. On the exhaust / pump-to-carbs side, the pressure is much higher, and thus so is the difference.

• 1 month later...

Hi

There is also the consideration that the flow can be reduced by the internal pipe friction, dependant on length. Most "Suction" pipe/hose is larger dia than that of the pump outlet. It applies especially in marine practice, often in a effort to reduce or eliminate cavitation and erosion on pump components.

Pete

I recently had a fuel leak from the rubber section in the passenger side rear wheel arch (GT6).  I replaced it with Barricade from the club shop, I thought the pipe was all 1/4", the short section from the tank was, but the section to the pump was slightly larger, not as big as 5/16" but metric? 

Doug,

"Can be reduced"?  WILL be reduced!   Poiseuilles Law.

Flow = (Pi x Radius^4 x DeltaP)/ (8 x viscosity x Length)

You will note that the radius is raised to the Fourth Power - Radius x Radius x Radius x Radius.      Double the radius and the flow is increased SIXTEEN TIMES!   (2^4)

Sure, length affects flow, directly (and inversely), but you can't change the distance from the tank to the engine.  You can change the radius of the tube you use!

John

Thanks John, I couldn't remember M Poiseuilles. But it comes up in Naval Architecture and Ship Construction. But that was 50 years ago!.

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

"Can be reduced"?  WILL be reduced!   Poiseuilles Law.

Flow = (Pi x Radius^4 x DeltaP)/ (8 x viscosity x Length)

You will note that the radius is raised to the Fourth Power - Radius x Radius x Radius x Radius.      Double the radius and the flow is increased SIXTEEN TIMES!   (2^4)

Sure, length affects flow, directly (and inversely), but you can't change the distance from the tank to the engine.  You can change the radius of the tube you use!

John

15 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I recently had a fuel leak from the rubber section in the passenger side rear wheel arch (GT6).  I replaced it with Barricade from the club shop, I thought the pipe was all 1/4", the short section from the tank was, but the section to the pump was slightly larger, not as big as 5/16" but metric? 

Doug,

5/16 = .3125" : 8mm = 3149"  : 7mm = .2755". All approx.

Pete

Looks like I've got 0.25" into 7mm then. So I have a constriction of 0.0255" out the tank. Which means a flow reduction of...………………….:wacko: How did that happen?

I've never had fuel starvation, so I'm not going to worry about it. In the words of the Guru Mark Smith "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Doug

37 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Looks like I've got 0.25" into 7mm then. So I have a constriction of 0.0255" out the tank. Which means a flow reduction of...………………….:wacko: How did that happen?

I've never had fuel starvation, so I'm not going to worry about it. In the words of the Guru Mark Smith "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Doug

IMV. Sound advice!. Lots of people tinker with stuff, and then regret doing it!.😢

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Adrian Saunders said:

At the risk of many, many jokes, did you find it difficult to insert to anything beyond 10 mm? Even with heat and Vaseline? 

I don't think anyone is brave enough to follow up from that!!! Maybe on Doug's other website!!!!

46 minutes ago, Adrian Saunders said:

At the risk of many, many jokes, did you find it difficult to insert to anything beyond 10 mm? Even with heat and Vaseline? 

15mm for the joint at the front of the chassis . 

Paul

Adrian,

(Serious face on) it sounds like you have the same issue as me. Despite the specs saying the pipes are 5/16 some are 7mm, slightly bigger. I boiled and greased the Barricade and got 1/2" on the 7mm. With the hose clamp I think that's enough.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Adrian,

(Serious face on) it sounds like you have the same issue as me. Despite the specs saying the pipes are 5/16 some are 7mm, slightly bigger. I boiled and greased the Barricade and got 1/2" on the 7mm. With the hose clamp I think that's enough.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I’m going to get some 8 mm Gates and test it at work. I can do some vacuum and pressure decay testing on it secured with some ABA clips. I’ll publish the results. What’s this “other website” that Badwolf mentioned? 

12 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Adrian,

Doug

Doug, are you sure you don't mean 8mm??

5/16"=7.9375mm

Rubber hoses seem to work OK on  a slightly smaller pipe, but if the pipe is too big for the hose, they are almost impossible to fit. Especially in fuel hose sizes....