*ADVICE NEEDED* Fitting Ashley hardtop to mk2 Spitfire *ADVICE NEEDED*

oliproctor

Good evening,

Does anyone have any first hand experience fitting an Ashley hard top (as pictured) to a mk2 Spitfire? The two fitting handle pins that tighten up into the holes on the top of the windscreen are too loose and therefore I thought these plates (see pics) would be the right idea? Take the aluminium cover off the top of the windscreen (again) and then find a way to fit them, however I think they'll stand too proud and therefore will not fit underneath the aluminium cover when re-attached. 

Attached are the two photos and then an email response from Mick Dolphin explaining the predicament a bit further!

Thanks!

Triumph-Spitfire-Hood-Hard-Top-Locking-Catch-Plates.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 21.38.38.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 21.41.03.png

On 21/01/2019 at 09:08, Colin Lindsay said:

You got two!! Great stuff, mine never turned up and I'm now thinking I binned them in a moment of madness... knowing that no-one would ever want them.

No I haven't yet bought them I was just wondering if anyone had some previous knowledge of fitting the Ashley hard top to a mk2 but it doesn't seem to be the case!

Is the 'bubble' type hardtop a similar fitting and if so has anyone fitted one of these before?

Thanks

The standard hardtop on the MK2 has 2 bolts that fit through the screen frame into captive nuts in the top with a full width rubber seal between screen cap and top. There is also a bracket that mounts either side and fits into the hood stick tubes, then a long bolt fits up through the stick tube into the bracket. Then 2 bolts through the rear deck into threaded plates (these won't be used on the Ashley)

Hi Oliproctor,

Here is photos of the front securing arrangements. It is bolted down through the frame (in line with the soft top cam securing fitting) into a 140mm long x 20mm wide aluminium half girkin shaped peice which spreads the load on the hardtop sealing flange.  Mine is also bolted at the rear where the lower flange of the hardtop fits into the original boot lid side channels. The parcel shelf which also forms the petrol filling tube is secured to the body work through the boot lid hinge holes, it is then secured to the hard top using the new boot lid hinge stud. I do not have any securing to the "B"post.

IMG_2260 2.JPG

IMG_8911 2.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 24/01/2019 at 12:51, DannyS said:

IMG_2260 2.JPG

IMG_8911 2.JPG

Hi DannyS,

Did you remove the b post finishing caps to fit your hardtop? The rear of mine is all fitted now but is out by a centimetre or two on the top lip of the windscreen frame. I think taking off the b post caps would help free up some space?

many thanks Oli