Locking petrol cap

iana

Waso locking fuel caps will fit and do appear on eBay; these are normally pentagon shape (five sided) although you can get circular locking fuel caps as well.

As Dave has said, three pins is critical.

Here is an example but no keys and only twin sided - you can get them cheaper with keys and three tabs / pins !!! When I got mine it only had one key, but blanks are readily available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Fuel-Cap-Chrome-WASO-Classic-Austin-Or-Jaguar-Key-Missing-Sorry-UKPost-4-00/382751292929?hash=item591dc13e01:g:i8IAAOSwaZdXIFe3:rk:54:pf:0

Regards.

Richard.

Locking fuel caps were an important anti-theft of fuel device a few decades ago. Those days seem to have passed by thankfully - that said the locking cap does give an extra degree of security to the fitment of the cap.

I have one on mine, but would be just as a happy to use a non locking type. Be it locking or otherwise, it does need to be chrome - as black plastic just does not cut it cosmetically, IMHO.

Regards.

Richard.

Iv'e got a WASO on Vit. It is quality and looks it (though bulky looking would rather have a slim one). A while back someone forced it off a nicked petrol. It is nacked for locking now though still on and glad they they didn't  muller the tank filler lugs. Nicking petrol not common now, maybe because the modern car fillers have that syphon stop thingy. I guess a locking cap would stop a bit random vandalism. 

On 15/02/2019 at 21:35, daverclasper said:

Yes Colin. Any tips on searching please

Sorry Dave just saw this post - I wasn't keeping the technique to myself!! Honest!

I use Bing as a search engine, for anything like a locking petrol cap I just put in keywords like Triumph Locking fuel cap' and see what comes up. I'm not looking for items for sale, but specimen items that someone else may have bought and have posted about in blogs or whatever.The 'images' section cuts down a lot of reading.

You'll quite often find that someone will post a good find, with photos or a description, "Here's my new WASO **** cap for the Vitesse" or else an alternative ie "I couldn't find the WASO **** I was looking for but this MP **** Cap is a perfect replacement. (**** is the model or part number)

Once you've got the part number it's wee buns. You'll often find someone posting one for sale: "Part number is **** but I've no idea what it fits."

Use photos to search rather than text - it saves a lot of time.