handbrake/cranked handbrake

Ian Faulds

I think that the 'fly off' handbrake lever was only fitted to the GT6 Mk1 and the Mk1 & 2 Spitfires, and it has the round hand grip. My Spitfire has a 'fly off' handbrake and I have to keep a card with operating instructions in the car to instruct MOT testers, and tyre fitters etc. how to operate it. I learnt this the hard way whenI I left the car to have some new tyres fitted and I returned to see a burly, sweaty and plainly furious tyre fitter standing on the seats, tugging on the lever with all his might; the verbal instructions that I had left with his colleagues had not got to him it seemed. They had to use bolt cutters on the handbrake cable to release it!

For those of you who have not encountered this type of handbrake I should explain that you press the button to lock the lever in place and you release it by lifting the lever without touching the button. Most have been replaced with the conventional version, for good reason.

Adrian

3 hours ago, NeilF said:

The number of times I have taken my Mk1 into a garage and watched the mechanic trying to release the fly off handbrake with his thumb on the button often made me wonder what school they went to!

NeilF

It depends how old they are Neil. You should have the mot guy try to start my 100e ford pop a few years ago, and then find 1st gear..... Hilarious...... :) 

Tony

You missed an important bit there. They plug in a diagnostic computer and it tells them there is an issue with x. Though don’t tell them that is was caused by y - not until you change x which doesn’t work until you also change z. When in actual fact you only needed to change (or adjust, grease, whatever), x. 😂

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

You missed an important bit there. They plug in a diagnostic computer and it tells them there is an issue with x. Though don’t tell them that is was caused by y - not until you change x which doesn’t work until you also change z. When in actual fact you only needed to change (or adjust, grease, whatever), x. 😂

Sorry Mark, i dont understand algebra.............

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Perhaps that is the real reason fir the mot exemption on cars over 40years old? 🤔

Perhaps there should be an exemption from MOT testers under 40 years old?

I've never had trouble with my local testers, but an over-the-counter conversation in Halfords, when I happened to mention that one of my cars was running over-rich, led to the advice of replacing one of the O2 sensors. When I explained that it didn't have one, I got a very sagely nod of the head, and the reply: "That's the reason, then."

My local tester which I use for mine and the wifes daily are fine for the modern stuff (And is only £15) - but when they last did my Spitfire they screwed the carbs up big style.

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Perhaps there should be an exemption from MOT testers under 40 years old?

They should have a certificate for what they are qualified to work on perhaps!