GT6 fuel filler pipe

Colin Lindsay

I've just removed the fuel cap and filler pipe from the GT6 MK1 and I assume the rubber is quite elderly, and there is always a smell of petrol around it. I think it's slightly short, between the filler cap and tank, and doesn't seal as well as I'd like. What is the modern alternative for a 50mm / 2 inch fuel filler pipe, ethanol resistant, and slightly more flexible than the original? Anyone got any favourites?

Hello Colin,

Have a look at the Samco products, the fact you need a 50mm product is likely to be more plentiful than some other sizes.

An important point to remember is that filler necks are not constantly immersed in fuel unlike some balance pipe assemblies on other Classics - Gary will know this with his Alpine. As such there is a greater scope for replacement. 

Gary Stretton of PC, had this same dilemma (filler neck) when looking for such with his 1959 Peerless GT.

Regards.

Richard.

These guys, Richard?

http://www.samcosport.com/race/

Interesting, but they lost me within seconds. Do I need Profuel? Superflex? Extraflex? Proshield? Fluoro or Cac?

Hence I just need someone to say: buy five inches of this stuff.. :)

Alternatively, I just saw this on eBay, it might do.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-Fuel-Pipe-Hose-ISO-7840-51-mm-2-50-mm-Filler-Pipe-500-mm-long-FP500-5/302554845895?hash=item4671ac92c7:g:pfgAAMXQDjhQ6Vyr

Hello Colin.

Yes.

With Samco, it's worth despatching an email to outline your request - they are very helpful and deal with classic car owners a lot.

I like the link you have flagged - 

1- what is the OD of your filler pipe as this item has a 51mm ID which is sounds ideal;

2- be worth asking what ethanol proof limitation it has - albeit as I have already mentioned it will not be permanently immersed in fuel.

Regards.

Richard.

That's the elbowed one for Mk3; I need the straight one for the MK1. As always us older folks are discriminated against. :)

Filler pipe O/D is 50mm, cap and tank are the same so no reduction or expansion. I've always used the one that came with the car so it's now quite elderly, but it's also too short by about 3/4 inch to seal fully against both cap and tank. Just over five inches would be perfect.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

On the other hand you'll probably get an old codger's discount. :lol:

db

It should apply to cars over a certain age too.... free parts for any car over pension age.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

5".........   you need Dougs other forum  !!!

Pete

Apparently you can get a machine that will enlarge male pipes, and I'll quote from the internet search: Rigid Male Pipe Malleable Iron Enlarger. No use to me, I just need a flexible ethanol-resistant one.

• 11 months later...

Does the above mean I'm now coming back, or have went again?

Anyway to resurrect this thread: the pipe I bought - 50mm marine quality metal-reinforced hose - is too inflexible. With a new boot floor and rear valence I've just trial fitted the tank and found the original pipe still much too short, but flexible, or the replacement pipe a good length, but no give.

The Demon Tweeks stuff looks good - the flexible 51mm version - but is the Mocal Flexible suitable for road-going cars?

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/mocal-flexible-straight-fuel-filler-neck-hose-245474/

The straight pipe they sell might also do, but I've no idea of how flexible it actually is - the postage is almost four times that of the flexible hose, so this points to greater weight. I just want to make sure that the thinner flexible hose isn't suitable for racing only and can safely be used on the road, if that makes sense?