Hazard Warning Lights

Paul H

Hi my newly installed hazard warning lights in my Vitesse mk2 have stopped working . I’ve checked the live feed and earth and both are fine so I’m suspecting the relay or the switch . How can I check if the hazard warning relay is working . The relay has 2 terminals L and B .

9CB99AC1-069E-415A-B6AD-13B085C76500.thumb.jpeg.5d96f007dfe6d0ca2f4d544fd717ee8e.jpeg

Any input appreciated 

Paul 

Do your individual indicators still work okay Paul ??

I presume this is a new unit and recently installed - if so where from and might be worth returning it. TSSC Shop by any chance ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul,

A quick call to the club shop and ask for it to be replaced - probably simplest option, unless you are on a mission ?? !!

Not certain a continuity check will establish anything good or bad with the relay - I get the feeling it either works or does not work.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard , I’ve tried a continuity check on the relay and got no reading. I’d like to track down where the problem for my education just in case it was my error . The unit was supplied with crimped bullets which simply pulled off so not quality . The wiring at the switch end seems fine 

Paul 

1 minute ago, Blitz said:

Was it an easy install? After limping my car home the other week I though one could be useful 😂

1 minute ago, Blitz said:

Was it an easy install? After limping my car home the other week I though one could be useful 😂

Yes ok to install though the instructions aren’t very clear and the “tails” had bullets which simply came away with a tug . Theoretically the switch can be installed in a couple of hours though I took much longer as couldn’t understand the instructions . Now I could install one in less than an hour . If you proceed I can post better instructions which will make life much easier especially if you are new to electrics like me.

Paul 

Thanks mate. Yes electrics are not my forte and poor instructions wasn’t the word I was hoping for. Think the forum should do some how too guides. Some other forums I’m in are excellent at doing them. Really help. 

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

Hi Richard , I’ve tried a continuity check on the relay and got no reading.

I've had at least one brand new flasher unit fail on first use. The really fine wire connecting the bimetallic / heater wasn't attached properly.

Ironic really, I fitted one to the Vitesse a few years ago; works perfectly but the on/off plunger has never worked as in the warning illumination.

Should probably replace it, but as the 4x flashers work then I will live with that !!

Regards.

Richard. 

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

Thanks mate. Yes electrics are not my forte and poor instructions wasn’t the word I was hoping for. Think the forum should do some how too guides. Some other forums I’m in are excellent at doing them. Really help. 

I’ve tested the switch and certain the relay is broken. Because I’ve changed the wiring connectors and added a fuse it will be cheaper to replace the relay than send it back . The switch in my opinion is poor quality so can’t recommend this setup . A much cheaper alternative is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-KIT-CAR-Hazard-Warning-Light-Switch-KIT-COMPLETE-with-bracket/303032562097?epid=1154131254&hash=item468e25f1b1:g:SCkAAOSw5pRcQFe9. The only downside is that the switch is not so classic looking . Only 4 cables to fit ,  permanent live, earth , and 2 wires , one for each indicator. I would suggest soldered bullets on these 2 and they easily connect by replacing existing single bullet connector with doubles. The single bullet connectors are located by tracing the switch loom on the steering column. The wires on my Vitesse were green and green/white 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

Hello Paul,

I think you have been a tad unlucky here and easy to jump at another alternative, which in itself (as you have mentioned) is not cosmetically ideal.

Personally, I would give the club shop a buzz and state the situation, I think TSSC will honour the defective item issue accordingly and issue a replacement.

You have nothing to loose by trying.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard . I have checked the relay by connecting the live and attaching a test bulb . No flashing so can safely assume its dead . I will be persevering  with this switch and will call TSSC to discuss the options though cannot recommend this product hence the alternative as suggested to Blitz . I can source an electronic LED hazard relay for about £7 

Paul 

On 05/05/2019 at 18:50, classiclife said:

Ironic really, I fitted one to the Vitesse a few years ago; works perfectly but the on/off plunger has never worked as in the warning illumination.

Should probably replace it, but as the 4x flashers work then I will live with that !!

Regards.

Richard. 

Hi Richard,

I thought no hazard flasher light was MOT failure?
*********************************************************************************

It's a shame that Triumph managed to turn a two position switch with synced illumination in one position into an expensive nightmare.
If my hazard switch stopped working, I wouldn't buy another of similar design.

Cheers,

Iain

On 06/05/2019 at 12:13, classiclife said:

Hello Paul,

I think you have been a tad unlucky here and easy to jump at another alternative, which in itself (as you have mentioned) is not cosmetically ideal.

Personally, I would give the club shop a buzz and state the situation, I think TSSC will honour the defective item issue accordingly and issue a replacement.

You have nothing to loose by trying.

Regards.

Richard.

I spoke with Martyn at the  club shop and he agreed to send a new relay which works though the temperature gets a tad high on operation at 60c !!!! So pretty sure this relay will cook itself over time . A digital relay would operate at normal temperatures ? 

Paul 

59 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I spoke with Martyn at the  club shop and he agreed to send a new relay which works though the temperature gets a tad high on operation at 60c !!!! So pretty sure this relay will cook itself over time . A digital relay would operate at normal temperatures ?

The traditional flasher unit is a bimetallic strip device which works by getting hot. I've not tried feeling one when it's in use to see how much of that heat bleeds to the case. A solid-state one will run cooler but it will also be much more sensitive to heat damage.

• Thanks 1

Hello Paul,

Good to hear the club shop has stepped forward to help out.

I look forward to hearing how the new unit performs - hopefully it will not be necessary to use it frequently as a result of breakdowns.

Regards.

Richard.