Indicators

bengaku

Hi just a quick question here have a slight problem with my indicators they will work fine all four lights then say after five minutes of driving they will come on but not flash if i put hazards on they all flash so thinking its the switch behind the dash so do i need to remove the dash in order to replace this or can i get access without removing the dash car is a 1976 spitfire .thanks for looking and your time .regards Paul 

The hazards and the indicators use two separate flasher units, so it's possible the indicator one is past its best. It's clipped behind the dash below the instruments, I think (that's where it is on a Mk3 GT6, I think Spitfires were the same, at least until the late 1500s with the TR7 column). If you reach round you can feel for it and just pull it out of its clip. The wires are then long enough to do the swap with it hanging where you can see it. Access might be restricted if you have the parcel shelf fitted.

First I would check you haven't got a low battery voltage which causes the flash rate to slow. It might be caused by a heat induced or similar fault in the alternator or battery - more likely the former.

(Low voltage lowers the current through the indicator lamps. Low current also happens if one or more lamps fail. The slow/no flash is a design feature to warn you of bulb failure. Coincidentally, it also warns you of alternator failure!)

Cheers, Richard

Battery level is fine new battery fitted last month yeah my thinking was the flasher unit why i asked if you need to remove dash but if i can access tjis eithout removal then all the better thanks for replies