Newbie with gearbox mystery

I finally got round to removing the engine and box out of my Vitesse, to sort rattly bottom end mainly. Clutch looked shot so ordered a new kit. Clutch turned up and plate doesn't fit. Turns out the box is a KC serial numbered unit I think from a GT6, but the input shaft is 23 splines, which seems to make clutch plate replacement a bit of a mystery. A pic of the clutch plate I removed is attached. Everything I've read says including the workshop manual suggests number of splines should be 10! Any ideas? Cheers. Miles

GT6 clutch plate.jpg

As they said, the Dolomite 1850 internals in a GT6 or Vitesse box has been a popular conversion for many years - my GT6 has one that I fitted in 1994 and my Vitesse has one the previous owner fitted in 1990. There are two benefits of the 1850 bits: it takes a J-type overdrive, which is stronger than the D-type, and the mainshaft tip bearing is bigger (and hence stronger) than the one that often fails on the original box. In fact, that was why my first Vitesse got such a conversion in 1989.

So, whatever John says about it not being original, it's possible that clutch plate has been in your car for thirty years!

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Gods, Miles, that is WORN!   Can't be original, so someone has been riding the clutch!

JOhn

Funny I was going to say it doesn't look very worn as you can still the original surface. Difficult to tell from a photo how far off the rivets it is but I know even a brand new plate doesn't have a lot of meat on it....

There is a dimension in the manauls  , need to nip it firmly in a vice to compress the wavy disc   7.6mmm comes to mind

Diaphragm disc is thinner then a coil cover disc .at 8.3mm 

One reason why they cannot be mix and match, 

The wear in the photo look like its a bit dished ,  which can happen if overheated at some time 

Pete